pond water test

Help Support CattleToday:

midwest labs. I tested mine by filling a plastic bottle and fedex it to midwest. Found out i had real problems. Working on well water system now.

https://www.midwestlabs.com/

I called them and talked to a guy there who told gave me the mailing address and i sent it to his attention. Also included a page asking for the tests he suggested i run. He emailed me the results and the invoice.

Douglas":3slnyt8o said:
midwest labs. I tested mine by filling a plastic bottle and fedex it to midwest. Found out i had real problems. Working on well water system now.

https://www.midwestlabs.com/

I called them and talked to a guy there who told gave me the mailing address and i sent it to his attention. Also included a page asking for the tests he suggested i run. He emailed me the results and the invoice.
What did they recommend in your case and how do you maintain it. Sounds to me if the fish and cattle are thriving there couldn't be much of a problem.

TexasBred":2rgulop1 said:
Sounds to me if the fish and cattle are thriving there couldn't be much of a problem.
I think far to many have that belief. Water makes a big difference. If you have poor quality water you are not going to get the performance. Testing the water is a cheap way to insure your cattle actually are thriving or if there is room for improvement in water quality.

novaman":1pb3316v said:
TexasBred":1pb3316v said:
Sounds to me if the fish and cattle are thriving there couldn't be much of a problem.
I think far to many have that belief. Water makes a big difference. If you have poor quality water you are not going to get the performance. Testing the water is a cheap way to insure your cattle actually are thriving or if there is room for improvement in water quality.

Do you check yours and what do they recommend?? I know it can be extremely important in a dairy operation but most of those dont' get water from a pond. How do you "balance" a dozen ponds, tanks or whatever you call them? And once adjusted to you also adjust your feed to compliment the water?? We don't go to this extreme for water for our own consumption.

TexasBred":3c0sg5zb said:
novaman":3c0sg5zb said:
TexasBred":3c0sg5zb said:

Do you check yours and what do they recommend?? I know it can be extremely important in a dairy operation but most of those dont' get water from a pond. How do you "balance" a dozen ponds, tanks or whatever you call them? And once adjusted to you also adjust your feed to compliment the water?? We don't go to this extreme for water for our own consumption.
i so agree with this comment.too often we put off our own health and happiness to insure that of our animals.we need to remember that the number one tool we have in any business is ourselves.

TexasBred":3jriyqo3 said:
I have wells or water sourced from a well to every pasture. I have checked the water quality on the wells I run. This area tends to be high in sodium and sulfur and that is what my water tests confirmed. I realize it is nearly impossible to correct in a pasture situation but when feeding in the winter I take these tests into consideration when getting minerals and feeding other supplements (like distillers grain which is high in sulfur) if they get any. The point isn't that you have to do something but if you are aware what's in your water you will likely be better off at some point. Water tests are not that expensive and in my opinion one can never have too much knowledge of what is happening on your place.

I never worried about my water, I have a spring that flows 24/7 and feeds both of my ponds. A couple of years ago I leased my mineral rights for a couple of gas wells but I made them buy an insurance policy on my spring against contamination.

Sure the test are cheap. Trying to adjust the water to "perfection" is what cost money. Excess sulfur seldom causes any problems....lack of it in certain rations can be a larger culprit. Nitrates and nitrites..yeah and that could usually affect point water but again...seldom a problem.....most deep wells in this area are loaded with sulfur and folks (dairies included) have been using it for ages. They say it keeps ticks off. :mrgreen:

For ponds that the cows have direct access to I would be half afraid to find out what kind of toxic soup they're creating in the ponds.

dun":1a5nyofv said:
For ponds that the cows have direct access to I would be half afraid to find out what kind of toxic soup they're creating in the ponds.
But dun.....it's "all natural".

TexasBred":256z1u1d said:
dun":256z1u1d said:
But dun.....it's "all natural".
So is e.coli and salmonella

Latest posts