poly wire and paddock setup

Help Support CattleToday:

RefugeRanch

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to rotational grazing and am trying to layout my paddock design. The question I have is if I am using movable fencing (poly wire) within my paddocks to subdivide and my perimeter is perminant high tensile how to I electrify the poly wire? Can I just attach it right to the high tensile? I must be missing something.

Thank you.

Yes, you can attach it directly to the high tensile. Gotta be tough to do it without turning the fence off. We move our cross fences and either tie directly to the high tensile or tie a regular fence handle to the polywire to make the connection.

We use oe of the power through gate handles fastened to the end of the poly wire. When we put the poly up we hook the power through handle to one of the plastic insualted type of handles, run the wire, hook the reel for the poly over the wire at the far end, put in the posts and hanf the poly on them , tighten it up then hook the power through handle over the high tensile.

The technique I use to electrify the portable fence is to lay it out so the reel end of the portable fence is at the hot hi-tensile fence. I wrap the poly wire 3 times around the hook on the reel and lay the reel over the hot hi-tensile with the reel dangling below (not hooked to) the hi-tensile. it's ok if the reel touches the ground (but not a steel post)even if you hear a popping noise. By doing it this way the weight of the reel acts as a tensioner for the polywire keeping it tight. If the poly wire connection is not at a post supporting the hi-tensile then put 2 stepin posts on the hi-tensile an lay the polywire between them. BTW, I have a plastic non-conductive handle on the other end of the polywire and it is not hot until I lay the reel over the hot fence.

This is the easiest and fastest technique I have found for connecting temporary fence to another hot fence while allowing the polywire to be cold while rolling/unrolling it.

Texas PaPaw":2dchdrl6 said:
This is the easiest and fastest technique I have found for connecting temporary fence to another hot fence while allowing the polywire to be cold while rolling/unrolling it.

Do you have feral hogs yet? They've been telling some hog nightmare stories about poly and electtic wire at the sale barn.

I've got some hot wires on a few fences. Re-inforcement only. Lots of hogs around but I have apparently been lucky so far. Been keeping a close eye on it.

backhoeboogie":2vl28x9v said:
Texas PaPaw":2vl28x9v said:

Do you have feral hogs yet? They've been telling some hog nightmare stories about poly and electtic wire at the sale barn.

I've got some hot wires on a few fences. Re-inforcement only. Lots of hogs around but I have apparently been lucky so far. Been keeping a close eye on it.

Thank goodness they haven't shown up on my place yet. Been my experience with domestic hogs that they respect a hot wire more than cattle. Maybe the wild ones haven't got the memo yet.

Latest posts