Poly Bale Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

We just replaced more of the bolts/locking nuts in another poly bale feeder yesterday. We have done this about half a dozen times in 2 years. Cannot figure out how the cows can loosen locking nuts but they do. SO I recommend to all of you with these feeders to keep a supply of bolts/nuts on hand for repairs.

Or maybe you all have a secret for keeping the darn bolts/locking nuts tight over time?

LauraleesFarm":1wpmmuyi said:
We just replaced more of the bolts/locking nuts in another poly bale feeder yesterday. We have done this about half a dozen times in 2 years. Cannot figure out how the cows can loosen locking nuts but they do. SO I recommend to all of you with these feeders to keep a supply of bolts/nuts on hand for repairs.

Or maybe you all have a secret for keeping the darn bolts/locking nuts tight over time?

Put lock tight on the threads.

Cradles. Build them out of old trampoline frames. I have 14 cradles now. THree more trampoline frames to build more. Thinking of building a sweep with them tho.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

Cattle panel piece welded down in the base helps hold the hay in. My waste was cut way down. Rain and mud are not an issue.

Gussets give them strength. One of the cradles is flipped in the picture such that you can see the gussets.

Caustic put me on to the idea years back. I am beholding to him in hay savings. I have around $20 to $25 tied up in each cradle. You can load each one in the back of the truck by yourself. They are light. They are strong.

LauraleesFarm":15trabn4 said:

Make your own lock-nuts. Take a regular nut and place it in a vise. Keep about half of the nut above the jaws. Tighten the vise to slightly distort the hole so it is oblong or oval rather than round. This doesn't really take that much pressure so don't over do it. Start the nut with the side you did not have in the vise. It will start but will require wrenches to tighten. This works as well or better than commercial nylon lock nuts.

Latest posts