Polled Herford AI Bulls - Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Well my herd bull is for sale and I'm lining up my AI class to start AIing next spring.

First thanks to all for some great input on Hereford bulls to help my sire research. Here are the bulls I would like to buy semen on, would you please give me a short opinion on any or all of the bulls listed. I realize there are many varibles, but I won't have any 1st time heifers (?) next year and I'm looking for bulls to improve my cows. So for now I'm just looking for pros and cons on the bulls.
Thanks,
Alan

PW VICTOR BOOMER P606
KCF BENNETT 3008 M326
DR WORLD CLASS 517 10H
KCF BENNETT 3008 M116
CS BOOMER 29F
RHF IGT VICTOR 103T
ARF MAXIMISER R188 S ET

If you find semen on Mr Felt at a reasonable price (i.e. less than $500 a straw) let me know. ;-)

El_Putzo":vp7tpuas said:
If you find semen on Mr Felt at a reasonable price (i.e. less than $500 a straw) let me know. ;-)

I'm sorry, you're correct he should be off the list, I can't find semen on him.

Alan

Alan,

I'm not saying the semen on Mr Felt can't be had, I know someone who has some, just not at a rate that I can afford. You may remember from an earlier post, I'm kind of a cheapskate.

I also am not interested in any big $ semen I see Online is $300 and Keynote 20X is $2000 per straw.

Alan

It also may knock Boomer 29f out of the running at $200 per straw.

Alan

To many good bulls out there to pay 500 a straw for a calf.
Now embro work thats a different ballgame.

Alan,
How many cows are you AI'ing? Also are you looking for one bull to cover the lot or are you going to "mate" a bull to a cow.
You see where I am going, depending on your cows all of those bulls can and will work and do different goals. It just really depends on what those goals are.

As many know I like p606 on cows, but he will throw you a big one shaped like a block just to keep it intereting. but I still use him.

29f is a good bull but I wouldnt mate him to anything that didnt have alot of milk. In my experience he can give and take away milk, I dont care what the numbers tell you he isnt a milk improver. At least not in my herd and to much money for me now.

103T would be a good choice, although with a CEM of -10.3 you have to wonder. (at least I am) The heifers I have out of him are young so time will tell.

Good luck in whatever you do

MD

redfornow":ad46n51n said:
How many cows are you AI'ing? Also are you looking for one bull to cover the lot or are you going to "mate" a bull to a cow.

I'll AI 12 next year, unless I buy something else. Yes I plan to match a bull to each cow.

For example I have a Call 100 heifer, who is currently pregnant from my easy calving herd bull. So when I AI her next year it will be her second calf. Her BW is 7.3, WW 42, YW72, MM 23. So I'm looking at using World Class 517 or Bennet 3008 M116 or M326 on her to bring the BW down and pump up the WW and YW.

Any thoughts,
Alan

Let me give my opinion on 103T. I wouldn't use him, due to the fact that his sire is Vindicator and Vindicators are known to prolapse. P606, good bull on the right cow. 29F, semen is limited and I think it is out of my price range to use AI. only on flushes. M326, I like and may use him. 10H, powerful bull and I am using him. M116, I don't know much about him. And this R188, I don't know much about him either, but looks to be a good bull. Take care. :cboy:

redfornow":qsbu4jzb said:

Alan,
You see where I am going, depending on your cows all of those bulls can and will work and do different goals. It just really depends on what those goals are.

As many know I like p606 on cows, but he will throw you a big one shaped like a block just to keep it intereting. but I still use him.

29f is a good bull but I wouldnt mate him to anything that didnt have alot of milk. In my experience he can give and take away milk, I dont care what the numbers tell you he isnt a milk improver. At least not in my herd and to much money for me now.

103T would be a good choice, although with a CEM of -10.3 you have to wonder. (at least I am) The heifers I have out of him are young so time will tell.

MD
You mean you are using 103T still? Never tried him out and I wouldn't start. With Vindicator as the sire of 103T, I am staying far away from that line as I can. No offense, but I have seen Vindicator daughters prolapse and also 103T daughters as well. Take care. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":1c5opgo7 said:
redfornow":1c5opgo7 said:

Alan,

MD
You mean you are using 103T still? Never tried him out and I wouldn't start. With Vindicator as the sire of 103T, I am staying far away from that line as I can. No offense, but I have seen Vindicator daughters prolapse and also 103T daughters as well. Take care. :cboy:

Hill you give lots of Hereford advice on a breed you claim to promote but 75% is bad. What I see you promoting is who is impressing you the most this week at some show or in the magazine of the month.

103T has 754 daughters in the Hereford data base. If they have a prolapsing problem, somebody WOULD know about it by now. You are more likely to run into a nasty surprise in one of these new young heavily promoted bulls that don't have any daughters in production yet.

I want to hear what all the problems are with Feltons Domino 774. I'm sure the experts have all of the hot scoop on him.

dun

dun":13jr2uyi said:
I want to hear what all the problems are with Feltons Domino 774. I'm sure the experts have all of the hot scoop on him.

dun

I don't know ANY of the rumours or gossip and am too busy trying to get the new farm ready for cows and people to go to current sales, association meetings or anything else. That is one reason I don't make a lot of bull recommendations when I ain't eyeballed any of the daughters. Looking at Feltons Domino 774's pedigree, the one ominous name would be his Maternal Great Grand Sire, F 030 Prospect 208 and that is because Feltons 468 is a a confirmed hypotrichosis carrier (the only confirmed Feltons carrier) and F 030 Prospect 208 is ALSO his Paternal Grand sire. F 030 Prospect 208 had a very short career and left few progeny so there is no way to know if he was a carrier or not. I don't think we know where Feltons 468 got the HY gene from.....this is a condition usually found in Nick the Butler lineage cattle. Are you suggesting that Feltons Domino 774 is ALSO an HY carrier??? and if so is your source direct?

Brandonm2":3b4m0qwr said:
dun":3b4m0qwr said:

dun

I don't know ANY of the rumours or gossip and am too busy trying to get the new farm ready for cows and people to go to current sales, association meetings or anything else. That is one reason I don't make a lot of bull recommendations when I ain't eyeballed any of the daughters. Looking at Feltons Domino 774's pedigree, the one ominous name would be his Maternal Great Grand Sire, F 030 Prospect 208 and that is because Feltons 468 is a a confirmed hypotrichosis carrier (the only confirmed Feltons carrier) and F 030 Prospect 208 is ALSO his Paternal Grand sire. F 030 Prospect 208 had a very short career and left few progeny so there is no way to know if he was a carrier or not. I don't think we know where Feltons 468 got the HY gene from.....this is a condition usually found in Nick the Butler lineage cattle. Are you suggesting that Feltons Domino 774 is ALSO an HY carrier??? and if so is your source direct?

I don;t know anythign about him other then that we use him. Since we have all of the Hereford experts that know all about all of the various bulls, I just figured I'ld ask.

dun

Hi, new here, been lurking for quite some time. My first question to this great board. Do you guys and gals think that HY is more common than the AHA leads on? If you go to the site and look up known carriers they have about 10 known.

Take care,
Hillbilly

Hill Creek Farm":3ndldu1c said:
redfornow":3ndldu1c said:

Alan,

MD

HCF

You dont offend me. You and I go about this from two different worlds and in two very different ways.
I bet your tank doesnt have three straws from bulls over 3 or 4 years old. I only have one bull, that I use (other than the clean up bull) that is that young.
So yes I still use 103T, not alot but for the right mating.
You would laugh at some of the "proven" bulls I use. But I dont breed show animals, (except for my kids) and I dont sell high end fancy bulls, just working animals that will never see feed and will work hard all year. We are in different worlds. In my world the porduct doesnt have its hair done until its made into leather.
If you need a list of those bulls for a laugh give me a yell. :roll:

MD

Alan":2p6g13sh said:
redfornow":2p6g13sh said:

I'll AI 12 next year, unless I buy something else. Yes I plan to match a bull to each cow.

For example I have a Call 100 heifer, who is currently pregnant from my easy calving herd bull. So when I AI her next year it will be her second calf. Her BW is 7.3, WW 42, YW72, MM 23. So I'm looking at using World Class 517 or Bennet 3008 M116 or M326 on her to bring the BW down and pump up the WW and YW.

Any thoughts,
Alan

Alan,

Without taking a look at her its hard. Cause all we are doing is mating numbers and as we all know numbers lie. lol
So do people but thats a different story.
Your WW and YW numbers dont both me at all, I wouldnt try to bump them up much, as others have said it just makes are larger framed cow and I personally want a 1000 to 1200 lb mamma. but thats me.
Now the CE and BW numbers they need to come down so if she were mine a bull like BRAXTON GIANT 1 would be a perfect mating, I think one of the breeders on the this board is a fan, so he or she could tell you more than I, but so far I have liked what I have seen.
Like I said lots of very good bulls out there cheap.

This is one of my favorite parts of this whole deal, you think you plan and in 284 days you take a look and see if it worked out in the real world like it did on paper.
I can give you a list of bulls that dont perform as well as my clean up bull in my world....

MD

Latest posts