polled hereford bull what does everyone think of this photo

Help Support CattleToday:

cjpherford3

Reaction score
if i can get it here ok what do everybody thing of this bull? he is for sale for only 2,500.cj it doesnt look like the photo link will work if any body knows how to do it i would love to see this photo here. thanks, c jones

5r.jpg

this him?

his sire is NPH 512 THE STOCKER 10H and his dam is a real freckeled face cow by our older herd bull wintun head start 14L you can see the photos of 14L on our web site that i am still adding to. freewebs.com/cjpherford3. his bw epd is 4.3 ww 42 yw71 mm15. his birth weight was 85lbs yearling was 925 and he now weights over 2,200 lbs without grain.

he hasnt had any grain for over 3 months now and he is only getting feed grass hay and still looks the same so he is NOT going to fall apart at breeding time. when he was on grain he wasnt getting much. this breeding throws good solid thick made bulls. he is in range ready condition.

He is a fine looking Polled Hereford Show Bull. He is w-a-a-y-y-y to big for practicality as a Herd Bull, He is too large a Frame bull, with the expectations of siring heifers which will grow too big, and have calves that are to large and expensive to feed and finish. His daughters will have too much growth which will cost feed dollars for the rest of their lives, and his sons will sire daughters which will be too big, and the SIZE cycle will continue to get larger and larger, until intelligent breeders will say, TOO MUCH!!

Overemphasis on Frame and Growth results in too large a Frame score, and too expensive to maintain. There is a happy medium between TOO BIG and TOO LITTLE. Frame score of 5 - 5.5 is about right, everything else being optimal! He is a result of single-trait selection - - too big and thinking POUNDS ONLY at the feedlot. It took high energy feeds (Corn, expensive hay, expensive forage equipment for preparation - all of those factors which cost $$$$ to produce an animal like this, and to maintain his progeny.

Aside from the above - - He LOOKS attractive, fit, clean, fat, and too expensive to maintain and probably a low percentage breeder in the field! I am certain that you are not pleased to hear this, but facts are facts, and the industry needs to think about costs, and feeding GRASS to our GRASS EATERS!

DOC HARRIS

yah i dont think he likes polled hereford much , this bull wasnt as tall as some of the other horned herefords that were there.and he isnt falling apart if he was going to then he would have only getting a couple of flakes of dry grassy hay by now.

cjpherford3":2hwxgdpu said:
his sire is NPH 512 THE STOCKER 10H and his dam is a real freckeled face cow by our older herd bull wintun head start 14L you can see the photos of 14L on our web site that i am still adding to. freewebs.com/cjpherford3. his bw epd is 4.3 ww 42 yw71 mm15. his birth weight was 85lbs yearling was 925 and he now weights
  • over 2,200 lbs without grain.
so what if he fell off some breed'in a few cows. you aint gonna find much better for that price

cjpherford3":3ucsxv72 said:
if i can get it here ok what do everybody thing of this bull? he is for sale for only 2,500.cj it doesnt look like the photo link will work if any body knows how to do it i would love to see this photo here. thanks, c jones

From the photo, I think he's a good looking bull. IMO, a bull needs to be carrying some condition when he's turned out with cows. He's going to be working hard (we hope) and eating may not be at the top of his "to do" list. Hope he works out well for you....

i just put the stick on him and he is 57 so with the fact that he is 26 months old that should put him around a frame 6 and a half.his half brother that i am keeping for our herd bull would be a bit at or under a frame 6 ,thanks alacowman. and by the way it was 3 cattlemen that placed him champ.and not show ring judges, thanks also frankie

cjpherford3":mdw7blly said:
yah i dont think he likes polled hereford much , this bull wasnt as tall as some of the other horned herefords that were there.and he isnt falling apart if he was going to then he would have only getting a couple of flakes of dry grassy hay by now.
cjpherford3-
No-o-o, my friend, it is not that I don't like polled Hereford much. Quite the opposite! I think (as I thought 60 years ago in 1947) that the Polled Hereford has the potential of being one of the finest Terminal Seedstock-supplying British Breeds for crossing with Continental Breeds. I still think that they have that potential! That said, your bull is TOO BIG - - regardless of how frugal he pertains to be insofar as forage consumption is concerned. Being "Barn Blind" (not being able to admit faults in one's own possessions) won't preclude the genetic fact that his progeny will carry his gene's - which will NOT, like it or not, produce cattle which are easy doers, easy fleshing, economical Terminal cattle and as profitable as functional Beef Cattle should be.

I stated that he was a Good Looking, Fat, Show Bull - - which he was when that picture was taken. But the optimal technic for "letting down" a Show Bull is NOT to put him on 35 or so cows and let him "work off the fat!" That is begging for future breeding troubles!

The "SIZE" genes are apparent and he will not produce heifers which will grow into sound, easy fleshing females with beautiful udders, moderate frames, low maintenance characteristics, low birth weight, strong maternal traits, thriving on forage only. That is my opinion, and I wish that he was the predecessor of a Polled Hereford Line which would astound the Beef Producers and give them another outcross breed for crossbreeding schedules and protocols.

There is little question but what the Hereford Breed has the Genetics which would be of profound benefit to many Registered and cross-breeding programs, particularly in the last few years, as the Breeders have modified and improved their genetic selection choices and moved toward a more desirable breed profile than was the case several years ago. But selecting for "SIZE AND GROWTH" to the exclusion of moderation and desirable frame size and grass performance seedstock is NOT the way to go for future demands.

DOC HARRIS

It's hard to take criticism. I know I don't like it. But when you post a pic and want comments, you'll get them.

I like the bull. He is a little big, but if his size fits YOUR program and what goal YOU are trying to achieve....It doesn't matter if some say he's too big. He just wouldn't work in their program.

Doc Harris,
I love the way you write. Not that I always agree with you, but if I were to get criticized I would atleast like it in an elegant "well spoken" manner. Do me a favor and take a look at my Galloway Photos and give me a critique would ya. They are on the breeds board...

Latest posts