Police Presence

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm just curious about what the availability of law officers are in your area. I know some of us don't seem to have the crime that others have, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. If I'm not mistaken, some of you have said it is quite a distance to the nearest law.

I live in a rural area; the county has about a 10,000 population. For its small size, I guess we have a decent number of officers close by. There is probably 10 officers just assigned to the city limits, which isn't a very large area. Then there is a Sheriff's department. I believe there is a Sheriff and five deputies. Then there are state police who patrol our county regularly. Then there is the game warden who has been known to pull people over for speeding and such offenses. Our chief county social worker is authorized to carry a gun and arrest people if need be. We also have a jailer with a patrol car and he also helps as need be.
We also have constables who are always present at larger gatherings.

One would think with all the law presence, it must be a hotbed of lawlessness, but just the opposite; it's more like Mayberry; maybe that's the reason.

I am not far from Maysville, KY. Population of about 10 k. 10 % black. 2 % Hispanic. Women out number men, so if you are male, be careful. Maysville is noted for its alcohol consumption. Drugs are everywhere in every form. The city has a police force of 45. Amazing, to me.

Nevertheless, I have never had as much as an ill word spoken at me. I feel 100 % safe and secure.

Wheeler county Georgia is the poorest county in the US. So there's not much law enforcement for the 7,998 citizens of the county unless you happen to be one of the 3000 in the local prison system. If you don't call the law you won't ever see a law enforcement officer in the country. And when you do call expect a wait of 30+ minutes. It took the GW over 2 hours to get here and arrest 3 armed trespassers after I called last year.

We have 2 deputies per shift for the county, and at least one cop per shift in the city. Folks around here just take the law in their own hands, hence small number of crimes. LEO is for writing reports.

Bright Raven":z2z5eqzm said:
Nevertheless, I have never had as much as an ill word spoken at me. I feel 100 % safe and secure.

Thankfully, you have CT to take up the slack...

20 min is response time for EMT , fire (that would be me going to station getting truck and coming back) or sherriff . You might get lucky and one be traveling close when call came in. The interstate is 15 miles so that's about as close as a highway patrol would be. Most deputies are patrolling the small towns .

jehosofat":3r33w88e said:
We have 2 deputies per shift for the county, and at least one cop per shift in the city. Folks around here just take the law in their own hands, hence small number of crimes. LEO is for writing reports.

Same here better hope that the deputies are not in the south end of the county and need one. Be an hour at best.

ga.prime":2zsjwdw0 said:
What do you want it to be like, police crawling all over the place?

No but our county has a sign open for business and the drug heads know it.
Our DA is an even bigger problem we are going to try a new one this January.

state firearm and tactical training facility sits on 1500 acres about 5 miles south of the house. its also widely used by federal leo. in a town of 1000 at times 75 percent of the people in the café are leo. probably wouldn't have a café if it wasn't for them.

M-5":1n9a5z5y said:
20 min is response time for EMT , fire (that would be me going to station getting truck and coming back) or sherriff . You might get lucky and one be traveling close when call came in. The interstate is 15 miles so that's about as close as a highway patrol would be. Most deputies are patrolling the small towns .
About the same here with the exception that the high sheriff lives 2 miles from me, but whether 911 would call him direct or not is an unknown.
I'm 7 miles from the nearest town, but that's in another county, and of course, they won't come out here. Next closest town is the county seat, about 21 miles North, but most of the deputies are patrolling in the high $$ subdivision property around Lake Livingston which means we have 2 constables available for this area. Names: Sam Houston and Roy Rodgers, and Roy has got to be pushing 70 by now. Last time (5+ years ago) that I had to call 911 to get a deputy out here to make a burglary report, 911 called back and ask me to drive out on the highway and meet the officer....he couldn't find my place and 911 couldn't help him. (our 911 isn't on GPS yet.)

Nearest highway patrol station is 15 miles away, but they stay up on the bigger roads like US 59.

Still, I have to say that even tho we don't have much of a 'presence' we do have some really good, dedicated & professional officers here. I've met most of them over the years..good people.

More cops around here than pretty much anywhere in Canada. About 60 cops to police less than 30k people. Mostly due to the number of Indian reserves around here which always have their issues. But, when time gets slow, and quotas need to be met, they pull over people on a regular basis to top up the money pot. Last 10 days of every month are the worst. 6 miles over the speed limit and its ticket time. Too many cops are certainly an issue here.

greybeard":3c9f342n said:
M-5":3c9f342n said:
About the same here with the exception that the high sheriff lives 2 miles from me, but whether 911 would call him direct or not is an unknown.
I'm 7 miles from the nearest town, but that's in another county, and of course, they won't come out here. Next closest town is the county seat, about 21 miles North, but most of the deputies are patrolling in the high $$ subdivision property around Lake Livingston which means we have 2 constables available for this area. Names: Sam Houston and Roy Rodgers, and Roy has got to be pushing 70 by now. Last time (5+ years ago) that I had to call 911 to get a deputy out here to make a burglary report, 911 called back and ask me to drive out on the highway and meet the officer....he couldn't find my place and 911 couldn't help him. (our 911 isn't on GPS yet.)

Nearest highway patrol station is 15 miles away, but they stay up on the bigger roads like US 59.

Still, I have to say that even tho we don't have much of a 'presence' we do have some really good, dedicated & professional officers here. I've met most of them over the years..good people.

EMT is a real issue here depending on how far you are from the county seat.
Only ambulance services are dispatched and stationed there.
The county supposedly mapped our 911 out on gps. You still have to give directions to dispatch.

Bold headline in local paper last month COUNTY CRIME ON THE RISE.

Then when you looked at the statistics it was nearly All traffic fines and violations that had increased.
We had a murder once, but that's been several years. Non-traffic violations 45% below per capita national average.
Last year 0 murders 6 rapes and 9 vehicle thefts in the county.

Last summer driving through town pop. 1200 stopped for gas and did not put seat belt back on as I only had 6 blocks
to destination. I went 2 blocks and saw police car pull out of a parking lot, so I buckled up. ($120 fine for no seat belt)
The cop followed me 3 blocks and into the parking lot of the business I was going to.
He pulled up alongside me as I got out and "Thanked me" for buckling up.

We were the only 2 vehicles on the main drag of town in the middle of the day and he seems to think his job is to
write as many traffic tickets as he can. I guess he prefers to have people support businesses in other towns, not his.

The county supposedly mapped our 911 out on gps. You still have to give directions to dispatch.
GPS on my wife's car stops 1/4 mile from my house. The arrow thingie just goes round and round in a little circle at that point.

I guess this helps explain why some feel a little less safe than others. Someone mentioned their lack of police was like having a sign up inviting criminals. Around here it's the opposite. It's like we have one up sayings that you keep you butt in line around here. Personally, it's what I'm accustomed to, and I didn't realize there were places where law officers were so few and far between.

True Grit Farms":2i81szxw said:
ga.prime":2i81szxw said:
What do you want it to be like, police crawling all over the place?

This place is terrible you can't find a cop anywhere when you need one. It's just Pathetic.
Haha, yeah. One time I called to report a theft and in less than an hour the Dodge deputy came and found out I was in Laurens County and he left and I had to wait another hour for the Laurens County law to get there.

Latest posts