Lowering Police Officer Standards

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3dndpka9 said:
Couldn't read it for all the ads that pop up every time I start....
He is a snippet

Chief Renee Hall told city council members on Monday about some new strategies to fill jobs.

Chief Hall is looking at everything from rewarding officers who recruit candidates to eliminating some of the automatic disqualifiers, like minor drug use from someone's past.

Both the Dallas Police Department and Dallas Fire-Rescue are struggling to find people who want to protect and serve. Both chiefs told city council members that the millennial generation is partly to blame.

"We have nights, weekends and holidays — not attractive to millennials who want all days off and to be the chief in six months," Chief Hall said. "We recognize that is a challenge."

HDRider":18gxbeuv said:
"We have nights, weekends and holidays — not attractive to millennials who want all days off and to be the chief in six months," Chief Hall said. "We recognize that is a challenge."
That don't suprize me a bit... Don't see it being a challenge for em nowadays...they usually get their way, thanks to the enablers, the liberals and progreso's

ALACOWMAN":1gecp2qh said:
HDRider":1gecp2qh said:
That don't suprize me a bit... Don't see it being a challenge for em nowadays...they usually get their way, thanks to the enablers, the liberals and progreso's

And that leaves a void that not many are wanting to fill. Who will replace them? Do agencies keep lowering their standards? Heck, doesn't seem like a lot of people are happy with the people that qualify now, so what's the answer?

Anyone connected with Human Resouces, is aware of the struggle. There's times where a bad hire is the only hire.

I have seen the mothers of 23 year old men show up at the work place, because their son is "not being treated fairly". Be a bad day, if my mom shows up at work to talk to the boss.

Bigfoot":3conouer said:
I have seen the mothers of 23 year old men show up at the work place, because their son is "not being treated fairly". Be a bad day, if my mom shows up at work to talk to the boss.
I remember a time, when you got paddled in school,, you didn't tell your parents when you got home.. You'd get another for good measure..

Bigfoot":fij4pgwr said:
Anyone connected with Human Resouces, is aware of the struggle. There's times where a bad hire is the only hire.
we were lucky to hire some one,,with a valid drivers license,and the ability to pass a drug test...

ALACOWMAN":3qqwtg08 said:
HDRider":3qqwtg08 said:
That don't suprize me a bit... Don't see it being a challenge for em nowadays...they usually get their way,
thanks to the enablers, the liberals and progreso's
And Parents and Grandparents.
Mostly I blame it on that Nobody wants to spank Grandma.

I work in a small county jail. We have several millennials that work here. Most want a career in law enforcement. We're blessed

Maybe hire folks part time? Most cops retire ASAP, maybe make it where they have to work longer before their eligible for retirement. I have a group of cops that hunt with me every year, and not a single one of the guys worked till he was 50 before he retired.

rnh2":3snlk4v5 said:
I work in a small county jail. We have several millennials that work here. Most want a career in law enforcement. We're blessed

They are apparently not the snowflake variety and that's a good deal. Smaller department don't seem to be struggling for applicants like the larger ones.

True Grit Farms":3snlk4v5 said:
Maybe hire folks part time? Most cops retire ASAP, maybe make it where they have to work longer before their eligible for retirement. I have a group of cops that hunt with me every year, and not a single one of the guys worked till he was 50 before he retired.

Grit, you got me pegged. After 30 years and 48 years old I needed the change. In fact, I probably stayed 5 years to long. Do you have any idea what 30 years of negativity on a daily basis will do to a guy? I always loved the work tho and dealing with the good people was always a pleasure.

The answer is RoboCops.

Eventually, robots will be not only cops but our military. The research and prototypes are already being tested.

Not sure about the police but I do know that every time there is a hiring for the fire dept they have about 400 people apply. I do know that my brother who was at the Seattle PD stayed until he was 64 or 65. There are only so many jobs for 60 year old cops within a department. Most 60 year olds don't get sent out to wrestle with a 25 year old drunken wife beater. The local sheriff doesn't have a problem finding qualified people. Money to hire them is the issue.

slick4591":1as3azy3 said:
This topic has been kicked around a little. This was announced yesterday and this will be the second time Dallas has lowered their standards in order to recruit new officers. Thoughts? (BTW this new chief is from Detroit if that matters to you.)

Dallas police chief says millennials partly to blame for officer shortage
Seems most of what I hear coming out of Big "D" is low wages compared to the surrounding communities much much smaller. Even Ft. Worth pays considerably more than Dallas.

True Grit Farms":1a7g13h9 said:
I have mixed feelings about the early retirement deal. Some cops go through their life with very little stress, others are in the front lines of stress depending no where they work. The latter should be able to retire earlier then the former.

Latest posts