Police Dog in Action (LOTS of photos)

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I got to see something really cool a couple days ago. The Edmonton Police K9 unit came out to do a little demonstration for the class I'm attending this semester. I should've taken a video of it instead of snapping pictures, but I think the pictures are enough to described what happened as they are;

DSCF0187.jpg

"Criminal" (played by one of the cops that came) runnin' away from the EPS dog "Flint"

DSCF0188.jpg

Apprehension!

DSCF0189.jpg

Having a little scrap

DSCF0190.jpg

Flint following down command, but...

DSCF0191.jpg

...he's back at it again

DSCF0192.jpg

Flint commanded to leave off the "criminal" again

DSCF0194.jpg

EPS cruiser and the "stolen" car...sirens where going when I took this photo

DSCF0195.jpg

"Criminal" finally gave in

DSCF0197.jpg

Playtime reward for doing a doing a good job (Note: Flint weighs ~85 lbs, so his handler'd have to be pretty strong to do this)

DSCF0198.jpg

Checking something in cruiser...police knows now gotta look for the gun thrown away

DSCF0199.jpg

One happy dog

DSCF0201.jpg

Let's go find the gun

DSCF0202.jpg

So we'll start here...

DSCF0203.jpg

Flint doing an air-search for scenting where abouts the gun is

DSCF0204.jpg

He caught the scent...now Flint's on the trail..

DSCF0205.jpg

....searching...I think he found it

DSCF0206.jpg

...Well did ya find the gun, boy?

DSCF0207.jpg

You bet! (Good dog!) :clap:

DSCF0208.jpg

Reward (Flint loves his job, that's obvious! :D)

Gotta love them police dogs. :tiphat:

Good looking dogs. I'd hate to be the guy in the suit. There'd be a flock or two of what if's flying through my head. :nod:

Around here, the dogs end the discussions and problems. Standard operating procedure of the police when getting ready to release the dogs:

I'm gonna turn the dog loose and he's going to eat your a$$.

Normally solves all problems!

A german shepard barking and foaming at the mouth is a scary thing.

Have 7 SWAT guys coming down the stairs in the local school doing training yell "Door on the left!" as you are leaving a room to take your child to the bathroom.
We thought they were still upstairs. Daughter refused to let go of my hand for quite awhile.

The officer was telling the class after the demo that the bond between him and Flint is so much more deeper and stronger than any person that has a pet just for the sake of having one, because of the intensity that they work at, the training he and Flint (as well as the other officers in the unit with their dogs) have to go through to do what they do best: catch bad guys. He has Flint trained so well that when he puts the dog's favorite toy, that burlap stick you see in the last pic, on the dog's muzzle, circles it around his head, even nuzzle Flint's lips with it, that ol' boy won't do a thing except sit there his eyes intently on his master waiting for the okay so he can have his toy and play tug-o'-war with it.

And I'd hate to be the guy in the Corey suit, I'd pee my pants if I had to do that. :shock: :shock: The officers that start out their training in the K9 unit have to be the "bad guy" in the suit for the dogs, don't ask me why...maybe its to get the experience of having to be on the receiving end of the dogs' training practices.

Those dogs are trained to go for the arm or the leg and induce as much minimal damage as possible, yet still be able to apprehend a criminal. They also have to be ready to lay off on command even though the urge to go at it again is just as strong. That's of course where the training comes in handy.

baxter78":bitz70ep said:
I thought cops in canada wore them red suit coats knee high boots black pants and them state trooper lookin hats and rode horses. Thus the meaning MOUNTIES.

That's the more formal uniform they wear for special events for things like the musical ride at the Calgary Stampede, with the red coat, riding boots, and the Stetson, and the black riding pants that the calvary folks wear. But that's just with the RCMP. This officer is of the EPS, not really related to the RCMP. The RCMP in their workin' clothes wear the uniform like the EPS, only with a yellow stripe down the side of the leg, with the RCMP badge on the side of the shoulder on the shirt like this officer pictured here.

In short, the workin' uniform of the RCMP is that pictured at the top of this link:
http://www.rcmp.ca/recruiting-recruteme ... on-eng.htm

IluvABbeef":1xqzxf5e said:
The officer was telling the class after the demo that the bond between him and Flint is so much more deeper and stronger than any person that has a pet just for the sake of having one

This is true for military dogs too. I don't know if this is still the case or not but at one time they would let the handler take the dog if he left the service otherwise the dog was put down. The bond cannot be broken. I once helped hold the biggest german shepards (Marine guard dog) I had ever seen down on a table for its shots and check up. Handler had tied its muzzle with heavy string, put a cage over his muzzle and told the vet that I wasn't man enough to hold Rex (?) down. :mad: Insulted me but two more people came in to hold the dog which meant a total of 4 folks. Everything was fine till the needle came out and I was wishing we had six people cause that dog was strong. I ended up with a busted lip, bloody nose and I have no idea how it happend but Rex got my finger in his mouth somehow and I don't think it would have looked any better had I stuck it in a food processor. That was one bad A dog. :nod:

Jogeephus":x0jphhf6 said:
IluvABbeef":x0jphhf6 said:
The officer was telling the class after the demo that the bond between him and Flint is so much more deeper and stronger than any person that has a pet just for the sake of having one

This is true for military dogs too.

Yeah and I forgot to mention search and rescue dogs becauseof the same sort of training they have to go through. Different training than police dogs, but at the same intensity.

Limogirl, I love them german sheps too! :nod:

I have two german shepards. I absolutely love to watch the police dogs in action. I watch K9 Cops every weds. nite on animal planet. Here are my two girls. Sasha weighs 85 pounds and she does not like strangers. Melody is 65 pounds and she will lick you to death first and a couch potato. for some reason I cannot get Sashas picture uploaded i will try again later.

They are beauties syork! Thanks for sharing. :)

Did you folks know that around here criminals are not charged for killing a police dog like they would if an officer is short and killed?

Latest posts