Pocket Knife Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

SST> The Spadroon had to be made sometime after the Revolutionary War and prior or during the War of 1812 as it has
a US Eagle hand guard. The story is my 3rd great grandfather used it in the process of extricating himself from the personal
attention of the British in Warren County, New York. It is our impression the original owner had no further use for it.
I have no written provenance for it other than what has been handed down. Frankly, it is amazing the blade is still intact as
it does not appear to be made for heavy usage.
It is never too late to start the written provenance for your future generations. It may not make it more valuable, but the family will always know.

I didn't know we were including long blades. This one, I will pass on to my youngest son or his son. A full 36" long. I have the frog for it but it's been so long since I executed order of arms I'd probably cut my ear off now.(They are sized to the wearer's height)
Probably the only blade I really ever placed any personal value on.

View attachment 4878

View attachment 4876
Greybeard, I know this is an old thread but I just came across this pic. I've got a sword that looks identical to this one. It was my grandfathers. He retired from the Marine Corps as a drill seargant I believe? He pssed on his 92nd birthday 5-6 years ago. The sword is still in the original leather case. The grandkids think it's the coolest thing ever.

That Marines sword is pretty neat... My FIL has a dagger with a swastika on it. He got it from an uncle or his dad (his family died years ago). We assume he stole it from a nazi.

That Marines sword is pretty neat... My FIL has a dagger with a swastika on it. He got it from an uncle or his dad (his family died years ago). We assume he stole it from a nazi.
My Grandfather had two Japanese swords he brought back from WWII. I remember seeing them but never out of the case. All I remember him saying about them is that he wishes the families could get them back somehow. He sold them to a collector that advertised in the newspaper for some reason after keeping them for years.

Whichever one I haven't lost lately... I carry a small 3 blade buck in my pocket with my keys, lost once but found once. In my other pocket is a single blade clipped to my pocket. It seems to jump out and hide with regularity. So I usually carry some freebie that I can put a decent edge on knowing it won't be long before it is gone. Back to my knife drawer to find the next one I want to lose. Ha-ha

I sometimes find a lost one, usually in a strange place that I'm pretty sure it must have jumped out. Goes back in the drawer to be lost another time.

I need to hunt it up but my wife has a small knife that almost got us arrested crossing the border into Canada. It says Simme-Valley Farms I think. Is that correct Jeanie?

Being from Kentucky, I was raised to appreciate old pocket knives. I just can't get used to these new tactical and serrated edge knives.
I always carry an old knife that "walks and talks" with a bone handle, usually a Barlow. I like it to be at least as old as I am, but in better shape.
That way, when I stop to rest, I can take it out of my pocket and admire it awhile.

I carry a Buck Vantage Select tactical folder
'Tactical'. :rolleyes:
Man oh man, anything and everything nowadays has a 'tactical' version.
Flashlights, sunglasses, wallets, fishing rods, tweezers, pliers, bbq implements, hairpins,.. Hairpins? Yep, that's right. A hair pin with a built-in Philips screwdriver, a 5/16" wrench (how often you ever really used a 5/16 wrench?) a saw, a straight slot screwdriver, a ruler and a file. In your hair...... well maybe your lady's hair.

Don't get me started on all the useless 'tactikool' crap at Academy, Cabela's, Gander mountain, Bass pro and every other gunshop and fishing shop in the country. Think I'm lyin?

tac33.jpg

C'mon folks. It's a garden variety #$**&^!# Zebco33, with the magic word stuck on it. 😄 :rolleyes:

And of course, it isn't enough to be 'tactical'. It gotta be 'aircraft grade!' aluminum. Seen way too many real life small arms fire bullet holes in aircraft to think their aluminum is anything really special.
covered.. what's left out.... ?

Oh wait; MilSpec
(not enough rolleyes on the planet to cover that tho.)

I just picked up this little knife for $10.. very similar in shape to one I had years ago, just fits in the hand so nice View attachment 35273
I thought that knife looked familiar. Dad bought one for me for our first deer hunting trip when I was 12. That makes this one 46 years old. I use it to process chickens now.

Attachments

• 20230924_085219.jpg
    20230924_085219.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
6061T6 aluminum is "aircraft grade".. which is what pretty much any non-cast aluminum is.. it's the absolute run-of-the-mill stuff.. I'd much rather have a MARINE grade aluminum (I think 5454?) that's much more corrosion resistant

I put a coat of bluing on that little knife and sharpened it..
Does anyone know of a Buck knife with a similar shape? I'd love to find one like I had, and I think it was made by Buck, slightly more rounded and larger handle, but the same general shape

I finally found a clip knife I can't lose, well so far anyway. Ozark Trail from Wally, bought it in California on vacation this year. I didn't take one with me so I didn't have to check luggage. It has held a pretty good edge so far.

All the knifes there had a lock on the merchandise hanger, so you had to get an employee to assist in getting it off the shelf. Well, everyone but me, I just tore the cardboard hanger and bypassed the employee. People in California must not be very smart, except for our California members of course!

Latest posts