Please let us know on these calves (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

I like that Hershey calf in the first picture. Probably the showiest of the lot.

I agree with Klint. That's a nice calf there. The others are alright as well. Looks like the second might roll off from his hooks to his pins a little. The third looks a little high in his flank though it could be age/camera angle, etc. It's a little hard to judge but I do like that Hershey calf as far as showing goes.

The Black and white one is just under 2 months old in the picture... I'll have better shots coming in a while.... soon as we beat the rain and get the first of the hay up. Thanks again for all the comments. :)

The Hershey heifer should be one fine little girl; great shoulder.
The second calf is way too round, and does drop considerably from hooks to pins. The little black and white is sure stylish. I never worry about flank at this age. If they're still high flanked at 12 months, it's probably not going to drop. It may be the stance, but the B & W might be a little too straight on the front legs. How about that great looking B & W cow. Is she from Canadian Maine-Anjou lineage?

Hey, thanks for the comments, any are welcome. As for the Cow, she "Abby" is out of Draft pick, a really easy keeper and wonderful momma... throws some awesome heifers, but sad to say she is PHA positive carrier and we will not keep any stock from her that will reproduce. :mad: Its sad to throw the good ones away, but until they find a test for it, I will not muck up the breed anymore. This is one of her heifer calves. Stood 3rd in a class of 29 at Ak-sar-ben. The 2 that beat her were flushes, and they turned down over $30,000 for each one... Makes a person feel good when you can raise them and compete at the big shows.
redcowcalfpic.jpg
3 weeks old
redcowyearlingpic.jpg
yearling

Very nice picture there, DV. Nice stock you got. That one set up in the picture is of your own breeding?

jaydill":3mdc7z60 said:
Very nice picture there, DV. Nice stock you got. That one set up in the picture is of your own breeding?

Yes she is one we raised. The last 2 pictures, are the same heifer. Just a before and after shot. The kids said she looked like a teddy bear before we weaned, they were fighting over who go to show her...lol. She is out of this cow.
Abby8yrs.jpg

Looked alot like her momma, just as big when she finally quit growing. But it was a sad day when she had her calf this year. The red one threw that PHA we showed on an earlier post...so she went for that long trailer ride. I hope they come up with that test soon!

Latest posts