??? Plastic barrel sizes ???

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen some, as well as metal versions of the 30 gallon, but they're rather rare.. We have about 50 of the blue 50 gal ones with removable lids.. really handy for grain and salt storage.

Nesikep":34gs9agz said:
I've seen some, as well as metal versions of the 30 gallon, but they're rather rare.. We have about 50 of the blue 50 gal ones with removable lids.. really handy for grain and salt storage.

Don't want metal. Plastic. And I'll cut them up for a mineral feeder. Don't need a feeder 10 ft. long or rust in a metal barrel.

Check with a swimming pool supply place and see what they have. Not sure the gallon size but the chlorine comes in a smaller barrel - 25-30 gallon and it has a screw on lid.

Check with the local dairy farms they should have plenty of 15 gal drums that should work pretty good for a mineral feeder

I get herbicide in 30 gallon barrels. If there is alrge ag supplier to sprays etc, they may have some emptys you can get.

Kathie in Thorp":1o8tgaly said:
jedstivers":1o8tgaly said:
Almost all the barrels we get are plastic 30's. Get a few plastic 55's but not many. Get a few metal 30's and a few more metal 55's.
Get tons of plastic 30's through.
Jed, via who do you get those 30's?
Lots of Roundud, pix, graxomone come in them. Some oil too.
Tons of Roundud or generic roundup come in them though.

Well, thinking I probably need something "food grade," that hasn't held had any toxic stuff -- trying to figure out where a 30 gal. or so "safe" barrel might be found . . . like what sort of industry would be using that size. We have ONE dairy in our area; hardly any dairies left out this way. Inquiring with some of the fruit industry folks, too. Thanks, guys.

Kathie in Thorp":2tutifni said:
Nesikep":2tutifni said:

Don't want metal. Plastic. And I'll cut them up for a mineral feeder. Don't need a feeder 10 ft. long or rust in a metal barrel.

Could you use a mineral feeder out of a 55 gallon. Below has worked well for us as cheap ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnDfWWeJd8

Kathie in Thorp":35awfo4q said:
Well, thinking I probably need something "food grade," that hasn't held had any toxic stuff -- trying to figure out where a 30 gal. or so "safe" barrel might be found . . . like what sort of industry would be using that size. We have ONE dairy in our area; hardly any dairies left out this way. Inquiring with some of the fruit industry folks, too. Thanks, guys.
Whole bunch of them fed out of roundup barrels.
You can buy new ones somewhere I'm sure. Lots of food grade products come in them if you are in a area that has that kind of stuff.

Kathie in Thorp":3e3klalw said:

Stop at your local car wash. We get most of our chemicals in 30 gallon barrels. The only barrels I would stay away from are the ones that had acid and alkali chemicals in them. The tri foam, foam brush, waxes and water beading barrels would be fine to use for what you want. We go through about 3 a week, and are always happy to give them away. Car washes also have lots of 5 gallon buckets and the very handy 5 gallon "square" containers.

Scott

millstreaminn":3pk5nslu said:
Kathie in Thorp":3pk5nslu said:

Stop at your local car wash. We get most of our chemicals in 30 gallon barrels. The only barrels I would stay away from are the ones that had acid and alkali chemicals in them. The tri foam, foam brush, waxes and water beading barrels would be fine to use for what you want. We go through about 3 a week, and are always happy to give them away. Car washes also have lots of 5 gallon buckets and the very handy 5 gallon "square" containers.

Scott
I knew I was forgetting one kind we get and I thought of it today. We get soap in plastic 55's. Car wash places will have lots of them.