Planting in front of Isaac

Help Support CattleToday:

BAR_R

Reaction score
We got .8 last weekend and it looks like we could have up to 3-4" this weekend. My pastures are real bad and the 10 acres I tried to replant this spring looks like I just tilled it. Wondering what would happen if I drilled in oats and rye maybe some turnip just prior to a known (I hope) heavy rain. The gound is rolling so I would not have much standing water but do you think the seed would get washed out and off? It might not take long for the top soil to dry out as behind as we are so dry; so my question to the group is would it be better to plant before the heavy rain or after? We are in SE Iowa.

Thanks,

If you drill it and set the press wheels to really pack the dirt over the seeds you should be ok unless you get a real toad strangler. The total amount of rain doesn;t cause the washing problems, it's the amount in a space of time that hurts you, thus the toad strangler.

ga.prime":lqkatc1g said:
I'd plant it afterwards.
Good idea in concept, but..............if he gets the volume of rain that they're talking about it may be hardto get into some areas afterwards or it may tear up the existing stuff with it being so wet.

Be prepared for when the rains start. We got caught one year after a drought and never got anything in the ground 'cause the rain didn't stop til the following July. I got most of my seed in the ground this week.

Take a look at Cosaque Black Oats. Might not work in your area but we've had real good luck with'em.

Sizmic

We get them from our local dealer, but I believe they are carried by Lewis Seed.

Sizmic

i would definitely get the seed on before this storm. sounds like we are not going to get any gully washer. to dun- this soil up here is nothing like what you have down there, it turns to mush & runs with the water, no rocks to say so either

jerry27150":28zv9opp said:
i would definitely get the seed on before this storm. sounds like we are not going to get any gully washer. to dun- this soil up here is nothing like what you have down there, it turns to mush & runs with the water, no rocks to say so either
All the more reason to get it in ahead of the rain and pack the seeds well

Better watch the forecast--looks like the storm's remains will get as far as KY, then turn almost due East--I'm not sure SE Iowa will see any rain at all from Isaac.

It looks like we still might get some rain...I have oats, rye, red clover and turnips ready. It still looks like we can still get some rain. I will let you know the results after tomorrow.

Just got my last timothy and orchard grass field rolled in today. Alfalfa put in last Sat. is already up. Tomorrow morning is a lay in bed and get up to fix the family omlettes kinda day!

Sizmic

We got 1.1" after I shut the tractor down. One side got winter rye (1.5 bu/ac), turnips and red clover (2lb/ac/ea) The other got 2bu/ac oats and the few lb left over of the trunip/clover mix. It came in an all day rain event, nice and easy. No mud at all it sucked up like a dry sponge. I got all of the cows it on and they ave eaten anything growing out there flat. They are coming off today. It will be a good time for the field to get about 60 days rest. I willl try to get some pics up as things come along.

Latest posts