Planting bermuda on overgrazed pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I have severely overgrazed my pasture this year with the drought. I didn't want to sell any cows, so here I am. I am going to spread some 17-17-17 in april. Can I just broadcast some bermuda seed mixed in with the fertilizer? When would be the time to do this? I am in NW Arkansas? Thanks for any advice. I planted some rye grass in october with very little success, so now I'm gun shy.

Bermuda probably does better sprigged,in any case,it has to be warm to do it,say april or early may. You might do better putting in a pasture mix of different grasses.Do a soil test to check your Ph and to see what is recommended,you might just need to hit with nitrogen this spring. ;-) :cboy:

I would put organic fertilizer on your pasture now and then apply coastal seed mixture in april. Make sure it is a mixture of tall growing coastal as well as common that grows closer to the ground.... that way you get more forage per acre....
Works well for me!

Ranchcop":hrzzblw5 said:
I would put organic fertilizer on your pasture now and then apply coastal seed mixture in april. Make sure it is a mixture of tall growing coastal as well as common that grows closer to the ground.... that way you get more forage per acre....
Works well for me!
http://www.WatsonRanchOrganic.com

I thought "Coastal" was a hybrid? What's with the "Seed"?

so sorry i should have said bermuda seed..... around here we have a seed called Texas Tuff.... a mix of Common and Texas Gaint.... that is what i was reffering too.... sorry for the confusion.

No way would I broadcast it, I'd say drill it. I used to live in Carrol county and they had a seed drill we could borrow from the extension office. You could do the spriggs as was suggested but depending on how rocky you are that may not be an option, heck even drilling there was a PITA.

I'd also get their opinion on when to plant. My primary hay field there was fescue and Guymon bermuda and I had great luck with it. Got at least one cutting of the fescue and then when it got hot the Guymon came on, when it went dormant was about the time the fescue would come back on. Just a bit far north from what I was always told for the Bermuda to give you multiple cuttings. Most I ever got was 2 but the single cutting I always got was great stuff. Always was having horse folks come by wanting to buy hay from me.

Forgot to add that if you do sprig it I don't think there would be any way you could graze it this year, same may even hold true for the drilling but I don't know. You might be able to graze if it was drilled into an existing field that you did not kill off just to put in the bermuda but even then it might not do all your wanting it to do. I'd let it be for a year or possibly just hay it before I put cows on it. JMHO.

J

I would think you will need to take your cows off the land untill the new grass gets going good.

If you live in Arkansas, you have bermuda in that field. Put out 200 - 300lbs of triple 17 an acre in March. That will give your pastures a boost. Come back in the end of May right before a rain and put out 150lbs of urea/ammonia nitrate an acre. That will give the bermuda a boost.

If you want more bermuda, fertilize when it's in its growing season. If it's existing pasture, timely fertilization will bring out the desired grass.

i would like some bermuda to get me thru july- september. i understand that you dont want to really graze it the 1st yr. so what if i sprigg a small percent this yr and another small percent every yr untell you have it the way you want. would that slow down the damage of grazing te bermuda?

redangus":3g92bit0 said:
If you live in Arkansas, you have bermuda in that field. Put out 200 - 300lbs of triple 17 an acre in March. That will give your pastures a boost. Come back in the end of May right before a rain and put out 150lbs of urea/ammonia nitrate an acre. That will give the bermuda a boost.

If you want more bermuda, fertilize when it's in its growing season. If it's existing pasture, timely fertilization will bring out the desired grass.

If you have areas where there is not much bermuda, feed bermuda hay in that area. That's the best way to seed a pasture anyway especially if you operate in the "what's it gonna cost me world of farming". :cboy:

Latest posts