Planting Bermuda in johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
A friend planted 50 acres of seeded native grass last year, he did all land preparations the correct way , soil sample and fertilizer, it was a failure because of a drought year, the Johnson grass did real well ( probably a factor in failure) . The Johnson grass is now shoulder high and thick as can be and winter dead.
He is a city man , who needs coaxing in the right direction, he has decided he wants to prepare the ground again ( mow, plow and fertilizer and plant a seeded Bermuda grass) I believe the Johnson grass will come back with a vengeance and choke the seeded Bermuda grass out, I think even if he sprigged it will choke the sprigged Bermuda out. It is too late to use herbicide. He is determined he will do it this spring. Has anyone planted seed or sprigged in such a situation and what method was used to set the Johnson grass back? How would you prepare the ground to plant this spring? :help:

I believe I'd be tempted to mow off the Johnson Grass whenever the ground is dry enough to handle a tractor and shredder, then see what happens this Spring. Just possibly Mother Nature took care of the seed he put out and if the great Fall conditions we have had continue on into the Spring he may have a nice surprise coming. Be ready with a rope wick and round-up when the Johnson grass gets up. If nothing shows up, get the Johnson Grass under control this coming year and re-plant next. You have enough Johnson Grass seed in the seed bank so it's going to be a problem for several years until you get some grazing pressure on it and stop revitalizing through tillage.

Perhaps some grazing pressure on the field while the bermuda is coming up. I don't know if the bermuda could stand up to the pressure though.

The Johnson cut at the right stage will make good quality hay. Cut in the boot stage and bale. Years ago when dairying a hay person talked me into buying a load of Johnson grass hay, you could see no seed head at all. Had been feeding Alfalfa and the change actual produced more milk.

hurleyjd is right about Johnsongrass making good hay. Unless your neighbor just has his heart set on Bermuda, I'd say mow the dead stuff, then cut it for hay two or three times next year and forget about the Bermuda. And I'm not surprised about the Johnsongrass coming in on that field. I saw the same thing here a few years ago. A guy I go to church with rented a hayfield that had a good stand of kleingrass on it. He disced it up and planted Bermuda. He now has a real nice stand of Johnsongrass.

I've heard since I was a boy that the best way to make Johnsongrass grow was to act like you're trying to kill it. Plowing the ground cuts up the roots and encourages new growth. It will often decline in a field if it's left for a number of years without tilling.

Johnson grass is a noxious weed. Plain and simple, cows will eat it but it's still a noxious weed.
Summer fallow for a few years or glyphos it every time it starts to come out. That's the only way to get rid of it

Latest posts