Pinz Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1da579lz said:
dun":1da579lz said:
cfpinz":1da579lz said:
Someone asked about the salebarn dock so I just got done digging through this year's receipts to share. Sold one purebred steer this spring on the same load as a group of commercial angusx steers, same day/market, etc. Pinz steer weighed 610, would have been an L2, brought a whopping 70cents/lb while the M1/2 AX's in his range brought 1.15 to 1.20. He did have nub horns. In his defense, he outperformed my charx calves (sorry MikeC) which are usually the heaviest per day of age of any. Possibly the best calf on the trailer, but by far the cheapest. :roll:

cfpinz

That's not a dock or even a pier, that's a whole waterfront

dun

Buyers? :mad:

Exactly. There's only one buyer in that market that will touch the pinz-type cattle, and he knows it. His orders head west where they are not discriminated against as bad. A good number of the cattle in this area head north where if it's not a cookie-cutter angus type, it ain't welcome. I'd wager he made more on that calf of mine than any other on the load. :roll:

cfpinz

I don't know how much this'll help, but we sent some Pinzgauer steers, Pinzgauer cross steers, a registered pinzgauer heifer, holstein steers, and jersey steers to the Central Oregon Livestock Auction. Here's what we got for them:

Pinzgauer steer with horns, weighing 1330 pounds, 52.50/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 1250 pounds, 51.00/C
Jersey steer with horns, weighing 325 pounds, 37.50/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 260 pounds, 37.00/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 595 pounds, 54.00/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 700 pounds, 60.00/C
Jersey steer with horns, weighing 260 pounds, 40.00/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 280 pounds, 57.00/C
Pinzgauer Hereford Cross steer, weighing 715 pounds, 68.00/C
Registered Pinzgauer heifer, weighing 710 pounds, 75.00/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 925 pounds, 79.00/C
Jersey steer with horns, weighing 625 pounds, 57.00/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 885 pounds, 52.00/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 850 pounds, 70.00/C

Many of the Breeder's on these posts have expressed their opinions relating to "Which Breed (or color) is the 'best' and Why?" There are as many opinions and answers to that question as there are people who answer the question!

The "Market", as we refer to it in terms of Beef Cattle parlance, is as fickle, changeable, inconstant and inconsistant as the New York Stock Exchange, or any other selling business. The trick of being successful in any merchandising operation is by consideration of the most effective means of selecting, pricing, displacing, advertising, and promoting the product with which you are involved. If those factors are not attended to properly and adequately, your efforts in achieving success will not be forthcoming in the manner you might desire.

As has been expressed satisfactorilly in the posts on this thread, human choice, selection, descretion, option, preference - all combine to induce and motivate prospective buyers ( in whatever level of the business they are operating ) to buy your product(s). The strategy (or stratagems :idea: ) employed to achieve the above mentioned factors are many and varied, however the results of their being used are what determines choices and desires of the buying public.

The FACT that the black color of beef cattle seems to be the current rage, fad, or choice would seem to preclude current dispute and controversy. "Black" hide seems to be the dominant and controlling element in current sales at all levels, like it or not, and therefore it seems to me that we should capitalize on that trend, improve the quality as much as possible, rather than buck the tide, bow our necks and argue among ourselves to our own detriment.

Witness what JUST happened to the Republican Party in the last election! They were their own worst enemys! The same principles apply to business applications.

LEARN to think - to your own advantages. Breed the kind of cattle that you wish - just make sure that they are the highest quality you can obtain and produce! . . . and don't cut off your nose to spite your face!

DOC HARRIS

cowgirl_telly_369":1gw5n14q said:
I don't know how much this'll help, but we sent some Pinzgauer steers, Pinzgauer cross steers, a registered pinzgauer heifer, holstein steers, and jersey steers to the Central Oregon Livestock Auction. Here's what we got for them:

Pinzgauer steer with horns, weighing 1330 pounds, 52.50/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 1250 pounds, 51.00/C
Jersey steer with horns, weighing 325 pounds, 37.50/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 260 pounds, 37.00/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 595 pounds, 54.00/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 700 pounds, 60.00/C
Jersey steer with horns, weighing 260 pounds, 40.00/C
Holstein steer with horns, weighing 280 pounds, 57.00/C
Pinzgauer Hereford Cross steer, weighing 715 pounds, 68.00/C
Registered Pinzgauer heifer, weighing 710 pounds, 75.00/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 925 pounds, 79.00/C
Jersey steer with horns, weighing 625 pounds, 57.00/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 885 pounds, 52.00/C
Pinzgauer steer, weighing 850 pounds, 70.00/C

What kind of prices were the equivilent non-pinz/non-dairy breeds bringing?

dun

dun, I'm not sure, as I wasn't able to make it to the sale, but a guy that sent animals with ours, he sent some angus, and he didn't do very well either. From what he said, he was really disappointed with the prices he got.

cowgirl_telly_369":1emsfgxu said:
dun, I'm not sure, as I wasn't able to make it to the sale, but a guy that sent animals with ours, he sent some angus, and he didn't do very well either. From what he said, he was really disappointed with the prices he got.

I know the prices on everything has dropped, that's what I've heard anyway. Just curious id there was a dock on the pinz calves. I'm just glad we shipped our rejects when we did.

dun

I'm not liking the drop at all. If I divided up the costs of things, such as commission, freight, feed, insurance, vet inspection, etc, then subract the $50 I still owe the guy on my calf, I only made a profit of about $35 and that's on one of the dairy steers (smaller one).

Latest posts