Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
We have a heifer with the typical bluish white spot in the center of her eye. It was watery over the weekend, but she never acted like it bothered her. Here is our complication factor. We are trying to halter break her. However, the fear level she has is incredible. Has anyone treated pinkeye without an injection. I really hate for her to associate us with pain at this point in time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You might try squirting a little Naxel in it for a week and see if that will clear it up.

Larry

Though costly, there is one treatment (I read about) where you treat their drinking water with antibiotics. Can't remember which one though and to keep the cost down she would have to be isolated from the herd to do this.

Is the halter rubbing up close under her eye? I had some steers that I halter broke about a month ago and had one get an eye like that. I just put some terramycin ointment in it for a couple of days and it helped, cleared it up. You could squirt peniccilin in it a couple times a day and see if that helps.

Otherwise run her in the chute and get her doctored. After a while she will forget you poked her with a needle.

I would have someone else toss table salt in her eye. Put about a half dollar size lump of salt in my hand a just throw it in her eye as she eats. This sounds painful, but compared to getting her in a head shute, its less scary to her mentally. I treat pinkeye this way if I dont have the time to catch one. I know this sounds absurd, but it works everytime. My proof is, it you have a sore throat from infection, doesnt salt water help? Of course it doest, because salt kills bacteria.

quit worring that youll upset the heifer an dr her for pinkeye.the blue speck is pinkeye.an if the speck doesnt go away an the eye stays cloudy.she will most likely be 1 eyed.

:wave: My niece has raised cattle for many years and what she does for pinkeye is this. She squirts Kopertox, not sure on the spelling, directly into the eye then covers it with a patch for several days. I know it is not recomended for pink eye but it sure works. She hasn't lost a cow or calf or had any ill effects from this. All that has happened is the pink eye is gone , the eye is clear and the animal is well again. I mentioned it to my vet and she had a fit. But sometimes vets can learn new ways too. If you do use Kopertox be careful not to get it onto your skin...it is a dark green, it stains skin for days, and it stinks beyond belief, will not wash out of cloths if any gets on them, but it works and is not expensive.

shaboomx":21gg4bbx said:
:wave: My niece has raised cattle for many years and what she does for pinkeye is this. She squirts Kopertox, not sure on the spelling, directly into the eye then covers it with a patch for several days. I know it is not recomended for pink eye but it sure works. She hasn't lost a cow or calf or had any ill effects from this. All that has happened is the pink eye is gone , the eye is clear and the animal is well again. I mentioned it to my vet and she had a fit. But sometimes vets can learn new ways too. If you do use Kopertox be careful not to get it onto your skin...it is a dark green, it stains skin for days, and it stinks beyond belief, will not wash out of cloths if any gets on them, but it works and is not expensive.
kopertox is used to treat thrush in horses. the active ingrediant in it is copper napthenate a wood preservative.. no wonder your vet had a fit

Shaboo don't know about the Kopertox working but patching the eye definitely works. I usually get a mastitis tube containing penicillin in peanut oil base and put about a quarter to half the tube under the eyelid and then put the patch on the eye. Use heavy material like denim from jeans and line the edges of it with sale barn back tag glue. The patch will fall off about the time the eye is well. Just don't wait until it's already too late to treat the problem.

Good grief, salt and coppertox. Just give her a shot of penicillin or LA200. The prick of the needle sounds a lot less painful to me that either of those to remedies. Just handle her calmly while you are putting her down the chute, and don't get her worked up. She won't remember for long, as long as you treat her decently afterwards as well.

:roll:
I know what Coppertox is used for, I have horses. But I also know it works for pinkeye in cattle and they respond very well to it. I'm not saying it is the only cure, its just one I know works. Everyone is entitled to their own cures, I just wanted to share one that has been used for years and works.

nfz puffer and depending on size of the calf 5cc-10cc of la 200 and be done with it. Its pink and if you have other calf's she will get the whole bunch of them infected when the flys start wondering around the faces of the different calf's. I had a huge problem with my calf's this year with pink eye from a neighbors heard that the flys brought this way heck i had black face and eye patched calf's with pink eye usually its just he baldy. I am from the old school so don't badger me too much on the nfz puffer but it works and is a proven method if your putting copper tox in a eye that is copper nythane who knows if it will work and the water soluble one is just oxtetracyline and its the same but more expensive way of doing it that just using good old la 200. Not saying the copper tox wont work I just dont see how a fungicide will cure a virus

Jason
ThreeCrossRanch

ThreeCrossBuckaroo":1wh6pab9 said:
nfz puffer and depending on size of the calf 5cc-10cc of la 200 and be done with it. Its pink and if you have other calf's she will get the whole bunch of them infected when the flys start wondering around the faces of the different calf's. I had a huge problem with my calf's this year with pink eye from a neighbors heard that the flys brought this way heck i had black face and eye patched calf's with pink eye usually its just he baldy. I am from the old school so don't badger me too much on the nfz puffer but it works and is a proven method if your putting copper tox in a eye that is copper nythane who knows if it will work and the water soluble one is just oxtetracyline and its the same but more expensive way of doing it that just using good old la 200. Not saying the copper tox wont work I just dont see how a fungicide will cure a virus,

Jason
ThreeCrossRanch
is that puffer about the same as furox . ive used it before on pinkeye. LA200 is a good treatment for pinkeye especially since the price dropped.

A shot obviously is the route to go, I just posted the Salt because its: 1. Cheap 2. Dont have to get the cow up 3. Works everytime

Ive done this more times than i can count and will make the worst case go away.

You almost are always going to have pink eye I don't care who you are we for one have never vaccinated for it cause we have never had a problem but with the new 8way coming out with pink eye in it thats the route we will take. you can get pink eye from a number of things the more common is is your running your calf's n cows in wheat or barley stubble they will poke there eyes and make them water and thus attracting the flies who carry it. If you run any real numbers of cows you will have it and have to deal with it. You can also get it in your heard from a guy 100 miles away who has it and the flies traveled and landed on your cows. So for one deal with the pink eye and keep the flies under control. We always keep insecticide tags in our calf's n cows to keep the flies off there face when out in the range so I need to talk too my sales rep about this new 8 way see if i can get away from that.

3rdgeneration farmer":1oewwnwp said:
i want to know, how many on here have never had pinkeye in their herd? I been managing along time and I admit, Ive had it.

I haven't. (Yet. *knock on wood*)

3rdgeneration farmer":3b300npm said:
i want to know, how many on here have never had pinkeye in their herd? I been managing along time and I admit, Ive had it.

I have had it years ago, haven't had any since Rabon blocks came out. Very aggressive in fly control here, it is easier to treat the flies than the pinkeye. This with increased Iodine supplement has done away with ringworm and footrot. Had the first case of foot rot in years this year. Talk to you vet about iodine rates.

Latest posts