Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

If you already have the blue spot, then you will always have the blue spot. Inject 1.5cc of penicillin into the upper eyelid, inside. We have several with pinkeye every year, despite vaccinations, fly control, etc. Penicillin is the only treatment that I have found to work reliably. LA 200 will probably help also, but is no replacement for an eyelid injection of Penicillin. Pink eye does not necessarily mean they will be one-eyed. We have several that overcame the pink eye on their own with no treatment and have only a small spot on the eye.

Caustic Burno":vmrw9coi said:
3rdgeneration farmer":vmrw9coi said:
i want to know, how many on here have never had pinkeye in their herd? I been managing along time and I admit, Ive had it.

I have had it years ago, haven't had any since Rabon blocks came out. Very aggressive in fly control here, it is easier to treat the flies than the pinkeye. This with increased Iodine supplement has done away with ringworm and footrot. Had the first case of foot rot in years this year. Talk to you vet about iodine rates.

Man I love the simplicity and down to earth common sense in this post. I haven't had any pinkeye in my herd but when I use to manage a dairy we had it from time to time. As I posted earlier we simply put some oil based pennicillin under the eyelid and put a "blue jean" patch on the eye. When it fell off the pink eye was gone except for the small blue spot that will always be there. By the way new blocks and minerals are available now for fly control with IGR in them for. Most common ingredient is Altosid. I used them the last two years and they do work. Helps if the neighbor will use them but I don't think we have any flies traveling a hundred miles out here. And iodine still works for footrot. The pure stuff is hard to find now cause dope makers use it in their meth labs.

Latest posts