Pin to hook length on cows (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef":2oxl72zw said:
Now we are getting somewhere!

Knersie, what is the "1/3" you are referring to as ideal? Is that mean you are looking for 1/3 of her top line in the hooks to pins?

The old timey ideal was that the topline from poll to crops must be equal in length from crops to hooks and from hooks to pins, making it three equal thirds.

And yes 3way I see that the proportion of hook-pins to total length is not likely to change as they grow. Thank you both.

In my corral bunk picture above, I do believe the young, Huth sired cow on the near end is about 1/3 of her top line between hooks and pins.

Thats what you should aim for.

All forage, I would be careful about judging folks based on their websites, especially us middle aged guys. I have been at Jerry's place several times and seen the way he raises his cattle. It is really very similar to my system. Jerry is into data if not websites. Yes he does emphasize feed efficiency testing but that is useful information in a variety of systems.

The length of hip plays a big role in determining the leg structure, udder attachments and ease of calving (the longer the easier)

The angle should be a slight slope from hooks to pins, to make cleaning out easier and to prevent puddling of urine that causes, metritis, etc. For calving ease a slight slope is prefered, tilted up hips will make birth more difficult.

Too much slope and you'll always lose length of rump and they tend to walk under themselves.

Latest posts