Pile of Material

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
I have one huge pile of material for a new hay shed and the guy that is supposed to be putting this building up has gone bankrupt, the materials I already paid him for. I know building pretty well when it comes to houses but a pole barn is another thing all together. I must have called twenty people today and no one was interested just as I am not interested in going in and finishing up a job after someone else has started it, this job hasn't been started though. If nothing else I have a wonderful 40x80 gravel pad sitting here.

We've had put up several pole loafing sheds as well as one hay barn. The bigget effort is setting the poles, obviously.

The "local" guys that set our poles dug the holes 3.5' deep by hand...yep...more brawn than bxxxx.

Anyway, use a tractor mounted posthole digger. Set the poles based on the "outside" dimentions of the poles (utility poles vary in diameter on length). Use a skid loader or tractor front-end loader to move, raise the poles and set in holes (or use couple of real strong people). Set the 4 corner poles first. Use string line to determine where the other holes/poles need to be set.

Install your top perimeter "rim joists" first to square up the 4 corners. Then add the middle & bottom rim joists for stability. Then, install your rafters against a middle ridge beam. Bolt all top lumber to posts (we used 12" x 1/2" bolts). The other horizontal rim joists were nailed to poles with #20 ringshank galvanized nails (3 to each board/pole attachment point).

The rest is just like "drying-in" a house or other building structure.

Check out our website which has several photos in our several "Photo Galleries" of our loafing sheds and hay barn.

Herefordcross":1y5io03v said:
I have one huge pile of material for a new hay shed and the guy that is supposed to be putting this building up has gone bankrupt, the materials I already paid him for. I know building pretty well when it comes to houses but a pole barn is another thing all together. I must have called twenty people today and no one was interested just as I am not interested in going in and finishing up a job after someone else has started it, this job hasn't been started though. If nothing else I have a wonderful 40x80 gravel pad sitting here.

Sorry to hear of your problem!

Consider yourself lucky that you have possession of the materials. Since "contractors" frequently mark-up materials to create a profit on the job (VERY difficult to make a profit on labor), the 20 or so people you contacted may (a) feel they won't make anything but labor on the job; or, (b) are Pxxxxd that you didn't have them do the job in first place.

Find someone who will work under your supervision (if needed) and pay them accordingly. Can pay them a "bonus" if they finish barn by certain date (so they can make a "profit") on job. Construction like this requires a minimum of 2 people; three would be better: otherwise, one person would take more job man hours and have to rig scaffolding, hoisting equipment, etc., to do same work by themselves.

Herefordcross":3qcrjb89 said:

man I love building pole barns. You want to sell? (cheap)

If you have a way to find out, might want to make sure someone doesn't hold a lien on those materials. Just because you paid for them, doesn't necessarily mean that he did likewise. It would be a real shame to get it put up and have someone demand payment again or return of the material, with adjustments for damages like screw holes, etc.

Last time I put one up, I rented a forklift type thing - don't know the name. It had an extendable arm and could go up about 30'. It made setting the rafters and everything else so much easier and safer. Also, you could stick a pallet in the forks and have a platform to stand on while working in some of the high spots. With this piece of equipment, everything was a piece of cake once the posts were set. (Take your time on the posts and measure and remeasure)

Sounds like a lame excuse from your Contractor.

How does Bankruptcy prohibit someone from getting off their butt and finishing a job? No idea it created disability.

Like Fit2btied says, may want to make sure someone's not got an interest in those materials. Consider yourself lucky you even got your materials. I've known several fellers that have given outfits deposits, and several days later, a company went and filed Bankruptcy.

Fit2btied has an excellent point. A friend of my wifes had there "dream home" built. The paid progressive payments to the contractor as had been specified in the contract. When they tried to convert their construction loan to a conventional loan they fould out the building material supplier had a lein on the house because the contractor hadn;t paid them a dime. After all of the legal mess they finally got the lein cleared. The place only ended up costing them an additioanl 75% over what they had already paid. They've been attemmting to sue the contractor to get some of it back and it looks like they'll end up paying more to get any money back then they've already paid.

dun

I hate building pole buildings. There is always one corner I can't get square to save my life. The last one i built was a 12x60 run-in. I had to re-plant one back corner twice.Z

Hc, you have probably already considered this, but I would look for an amish contracter.

fit2btied
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:13 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a way to find out, might want to make sure someone doesn't hold a lien on those materials. Just because you paid for them, doesn't necessarily mean that he did likewise. It would be a real shame to get it put up and have someone demand payment again or return of the material, with adjustments for damages like screw holes, etc.
In West Virginia law states that once materials are placed upon the subject property they belong to the property owner. You cannot remove material from a job under West Virginia Law, you can demand payment or sue or get a lien but, you cannot remove the material from a persons property even if they screw you over.

Crowderfarms
Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:54 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a lame excuse from your Contractor.

How does Bankruptcy prohibit someone from getting off their butt and finishing a job? No idea it created disability.

Like Fit2btied says, may want to make sure someone's not got an interest in those materials. Consider yourself lucky you even got your materials. I've known several fellers that have given outfits deposits, and several days later, a company went and filed Bankruptcy.
Under bankruptcy protection they can walk a way for the time being anyway from all of their jobs, because anything they do after the Bankruptcy filing date is considered not covered under the bankruptcy anyway. They'll probably force the sale of everything he owns, it's been happening to alot of contractors, farmers and small business owners around here lately it seems to be gaining popularity. So much for tightened the belt, they just go belly up!@

use a tractor mounted posthole digger

our auger has a 12" bit and I checked some and no one close hase one any bigger. I have built quite a few houses but, only a couple of small pole buildings, they're a pain in the behind. I put the batter boards up to today and got it squared up. I'm gonna lay the holes out tomorrow, and take off to drilling but, with 6x6 laminated posts it doesn't look like the 12" auger is gonna give me too much screw up room so , unless a bigger one drops from the sky tonight I guess I'll just have to put 'em dead on the first time.

MillIronQH":2ucpq8zb said:
I hate building pole buildings. There is always one corner I can't get square to save my life. The last one i built was a 12x60 run-in. I had to re-plant one back corner twice.Z

Use the 30 foot one way, 40 foot the other way, and 50 foot diagonally across, to square all corners, before you put in the first one. Dad built them all the time. I helped him build one in Rainbow, TX that was 80 by 100 foot. That was a big pole barn.

Now days most folks use steel around here.