Pictures of My New Brangus Heifer-Happy M-Day to me!

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Well, my new Brangus Heifer is home.
We picked her up Sunday and she is at my neighbor's keeping his grass short in his pasture. She was abit snorty after getting off the trailer. New Place and being by herself I think made that an issue. She was eating grass quietly after about an hour.
This AM, I could hear her calling though. Im not sure if this is going to be an issue or not. She is bordered by another pasture with broodmares in it, and then the road, a wheatfield, and a house. She called when the broodmares went up to the barn for breakfast. We are going to wait and see. She isnt pacing or running and when I left for work, she was grazing quietly again.

Ive talked with quite afew folks about this..most say to give her some time to settle before worrying about getting her a companion, so thats what Im doing. If it comes down to it, we will look into getting another heifer. There was a cute Red Angus and Black Angus first time heifer in with her at the ranch...so, we've got options.

My son also got to meet their Hereford/Simmi bottle calf...he sure is a hoot, he loves to be curried. My son has said he'd like one like him..I dont know if he realizes the amount of work a bottle calf takes. They also have a Angus Bottle Calf..

Im very pleased with her. She is abit on the short side, but my god, she is big framed and wide. She will also do ANYTHING for sweet feed. :)
Here are 2 photos...sorry about the darkness..she was in the shade eating her cubes and this is off my phone.
original.aspx

original.aspx

Any comments are welcome...I dont think my animals are perfect, but this heifer is just real impressive to look at.

Sarah

Looks like she will make you one big cow....she'll settle down with all that grass. Just give her time. Heck she's even got her on oil well in the background. What more could she want. ;-) ;-)

thanks Texasbred..you put my mind at ease abit about her being by herself. Id like to think I could catch her with sweet feed if she got out, but even sweetfeed under her nose couldnt get her around the corner to the loading ramp when we picked her up...Id rather not find out if it would coax her back to a pen or her pasture... :)

Im excited to see if she is bred. She was in standing heat last Saturday, and they said the two bulls bred the heck out of her..so Im keeping my fingers crossed. I really think she is pretty neat looking. Even our neighbor made a comment regarding her size and conformation.

thats a nice looking heifer.hope she is bred.an yes get another heifer when she has time to settle in.youll love owning cows.

Thank you BigBull...comments from folks who know cattle mean alot to me. My husband knows cattle, but hes a hereford or Simmi guy...not to say he doesnt like "Jam", I guess he was just kinda hoping Id go with one of them.... knowing I got what looks to be a good'un makes me happy..I hope she produces good un's as well!

I already love owning her and I havent had her a day yet. :D

BTW, what time period is the norm to preg check a cow?

spinandslide":2wlg0rsw said:
Well, my new Brangus Heifer is home.
We picked her up Sunday and she is at my neighbor's keeping his grass short in his pasture. She was abit snorty after getting off the trailer. New Place and being by herself I think made that an issue. She was eating grass quietly after about an hour.
This AM, I could hear her calling though. Im not sure if this is going to be an issue or not. She is bordered by another pasture with broodmares in it, and then the road, a wheatfield, and a house. She called when the broodmares went up to the barn for breakfast. We are going to wait and see. She isnt pacing or running and when I left for work, she was grazing quietly again.

Ive talked with quite afew folks about this..most say to give her some time to settle before worrying about getting her a companion, so thats what Im doing. If it comes down to it, we will look into getting another heifer. There was a cute Red Angus and Black Angus first time heifer in with her at the ranch...so, we've got options.

My son also got to meet their Hereford/Simmi bottle calf...he sure is a hoot, he loves to be curried. My son has said he'd like one like him..I dont know if he realizes the amount of work a bottle calf takes. They also have a Angus Bottle Calf..

Im very pleased with her. She is abit on the short side, but my god, she is big framed and wide. She will also do ANYTHING for sweet feed. :)
Here are 2 photos...sorry about the darkness..she was in the shade eating her cubes and this is off my phone.
original.aspx

original.aspx

Any comments are welcome...I dont think my animals are perfect, but this heifer is just real impressive to look at.

Sarah
look's like you made a good choice with which breed. you buy some more like her, and let your husband put his simm bull on em. talk about a sho nuff good calf he'll fall in love with em ;-)

Nice big heifer.Anything with brahman in it is a good animal to me. I have a Red Brahman bull by himself will be 15 months on 6/1 I too need to get him some company.Your husband will love her once she settle and bring a nice calf.

Alacowman-That would sure be a huge calf...as big as she is crossed on a simmi...wow! The bottle calf at our friends ranch is half simmi and he is HUGE compared to the Angus BC. Im sure it would be a good calf though! Ive liked the Brangus for awhile...considered Beefmaster for alittle bit and not saying I wouldnt in the future, but Im happy with Brangus as my first choice.

Texas, I had heard bad things about Brahma's being ornery...I will never trust a cow, its funny...I can tell what my horses are feeling by their ears..cows unfortunatly dont seem to have that sort indicator :) She doesnt seem mean though..just not to sure about everything yet.

Arkcowman-yes, I know they herd animals and I have no doubt she would be more comfortable now with another cow...although she seemed alittle more relaxed last night when I fed her.

It was a neat experience and re-eterated to me this cow loves her sweet feed. I mixed some SF with cubes and walked it over. I shook the bucket and she came trotting over, after she finished, she even came up to the feed bucket and had to lick every last morsel from the bucket. Then she looked at me like "That was it?" Then she tried to convince me that shes starving by chewing on some old dead branches up near the fence..after that unsuccessful attempt to convince me that she needed more sweet feed, she gave up and went to grazing...I know I shouldnt add a personality to this cow, but it was kind of funny. :)

My friend, who showed Angus her childhood pretty heavily said she is a very nice looking heifer. She also said I needed to talk with her dad about breeding her to one of his bulls in the future. Hes got some angus and recently added some Charlois too.

This is a really neat experience!
Sarah

That's a very nice heifer. She should do well for you. Just remember with brahma or mixes. Whatever you do to them They will never forget it. Always be calm and gentle around them . We had 2 yearling brahma heifers. They had a trip to the vet to be dehorned. They still look at the old man,but since I didn't go. They think I am still the good one. :D
One of my F-1's was alittle flighty. I thought about selling her . But after about a month she calmed down alot. I can still pen her if I need to. She stopped blowing at me and shaking her head. She'll walk up to me now. If I have cbes she'll stay for a bit.

Joy
Is that a sign of being upset? shaking the head? Id like to figure it out...I got kicked in the thigh and almost run over by some angus yearling afew weeks ago at a cowhorse clinic..so Id like to not have a repeat of that...Ive never seen this heifer shake her head, she blew alittle bit when I first put her out in the pasture, but last night was super super calm and quiet.

Good notes about them having good memory! Ill have my husband do all the unplesant things to her! :) :) I am making a point when I feed her, that I do it myself and my husband says to kind of talk to her, call her by name, ect..he says evetually she'll get real friendly.

I want her friendly...Ive seen lots of cattle that arent handled..and my friend's dad, who is around his heifers alot. the ease in handling and working them is evident in the cattle used to people. I know some folks dont have a need to get their cattle friendly, but being she is our only one right now and I am NOT a big, strong person...Id rather stay on friendly terms with her :) the ranch foreman, who manages the ranch we bought her from, we are good friends with him and his wife. They treat their cattle excellent, so I have no doubt shes been handled fairly her whole life!
Thanks for the info and advice!
Sarah

Yes thats one sign. Blowing, stomping their feet. Or sometimes you can just look at them and think this is not good. The longer you are around her you will figure out what she likes or dislikes.
I have one cow that will walk up to one of my sons and smell him. She'll stand there and blow and shake her head. He asked me why is she doing that. I told him To her YOU stink. :D She is not being agressive when she does this. She is just looking for a cube. Now I have a couple that when they start shaking their head. Something is up and keep your eyes opened.

How funny about your cow and your son.
Im nto sure if my heifer has even seen a child, so my son sure threw her for a loop. I am taking it slow so she has plenty of time to get used to him. Although he told me he prefers a bottle calf.

Ill kind of feel her out, like you said...see what annoys her and what doesnt :)

She seems pretty mellow... I talked to her abit last night, the way Id talk to a person normaly and her ears were swiveling back in my direction..she was listening. My husband says this will make her friendly and gentle, being spoken too. I hope it does!

Sarah

Wow~Lucky you~ I got a begonia. :? ....It is yellow,and pretty,but all in all you got the better deal..

Some of my friends thought this was in the same area as the bowling ball or new rope
"Oh, you dont want it...thats OK, Ill take it off your hands for you." They were kinda surprised when Itold them this is something I wanted! :)

Latest posts