Pictures of a new Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama":uz9u64ry said:
I like woven wire fences as well. I have fences that have not been touched in 20 years. All my fences are field fence, even the cross fences, They are not as heavy wire as the perimeter though. Build them right and they will last. 3 foot in Alabama red clay is plenty deep. I won't go into the gumbo but many of you know what I'm talking about.

Amen brother, I dug lots of holes this past summer and with the drought and all, well lets just say that I got real good at changing shear bolts. :x

Ain't it strange how a man posts a picture of some excellent construction and gets raked over the coals because some "dude" wants to accuse him of bragging about how rich he is? Good lookin' fence, Nowland!

cfpinz":3ih6ov2z said:
Nowland Farms":3ih6ov2z said:
I don't want to put myself in a position of defending why my fence didn't contain my cows and they caused an accident. Additionally, here in Alabama, the State code determines what is considered a everyday that could open up the owner to a lawsuit or maybe even being liabile if someone has an accident or gets hurt.[/
Off the top of my head, I believe the "code" in VA is a minimum of 4 strands, 48" tall, with posts no further than 12' on center or having battens no further than 12' apart. If you have livestock at large and your fence doesn't meet those requirements you can be held liable. Not that I'm preaching, I have a lot of fence that doesn't meet those standards.

cfpinz
Depends on the county you are in.If you are in a "fence in" county,barbed would be too expensive ( 8 strands ).Go to VT
web site for extention publications.They have a good article on the law.

A nice fence which should last for years.When you figure the cost per year compared to "cheaper" designs (not saying I don't build cheap ) it may be the most effecient.A good road fence makes for better sleeping-Just like a calving ease bull

That's a great looking fence and if it were mine I'd post a picture as well. Heck I'd be crowing like a rooster about my new fence. Not to show it off but just darned proud to have a nice fence. Don't let some prick that probably doesn't have a decent fence on his place not $50 in the bank get under your skin.

Thanks Guys for the comments and support. I posted the picture of the new fence because I was proud of the way the fence turned out and of the hard work that I, my Dad and my 2 sons and my nephew put into the fence. When all was said and done, my 73 year old Dad said that it was a "mighty fine" fence that should last a long time and he wouldn't be around the next time it has to be rebuilt.

As far as the negative comments - I don't let some "dudes" comments get to me because I realize that opioions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one. You just have to weed thru them and appreciate the ones from those of you who are truely cattlmen & cattlewomen.

So ya going to answer my question about why the horse wire in the second picture? :lol:

Flaboy,

Sorry, There is no horse wire in this fence. It is all the Bekeart Fixedknot, Solidlock Cattlefence.

After looking the the 2nd picture, it does look like horse fence dosen't it? It must have been the angle of the fence when I took the picture or and Optical Illiousion.

Nowland Farms":qqd0rxci said:
Flaboy,

Sorry, There is no horse wire in this fence. It is all the Bekeart Fixedknot, Solidlock Cattlefence.

After looking the the 2nd picture, it does look like horse fence dosen't it? It must have been the angle of the fence when I took the picture or and Optical Illiousion.

Ok, I wish I could find that wire down here. I plan to eventually put all perimeter fences in woven wire.

hurleyjd":3p262yr1 said:
Pretty good fence, but corners are not very well braced. Corner post to small and not deep enough in the ground.
That was the only thing I could see wrong. Corner posts are not deep enough and that is the like the foundation to a house. Take the time to get them deep and have all your posts the same depth.

ALACOWMAN":3fdg3wef said:
looks like some rich guy show'in out too me :lol: .......... :looks more like a good investment with that road frontage probably sleep better and rich men pay to have it done too... seems like those rich fence's just last a few years.

Nice looking fence. I understand the comment on why not deeper on the corner post. I never saw the point in any fence post being taller than the top fence wire. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the post the part sticking up above the top wire is a waste. Either buy a shorter post or put more of the post underground. We alway go 60% or better buired on corners or end posts (usually 9 ft post some but a 5 foot hole is awfully hard to dig out even with an auger and extensions), but we run high tensile seven wire so that puts alot of strain on posts espically when we we can have 40 degree temp swings from night to day. On our longer runs that wire is super tight at sunrise (coolest part of the day and slack by late afternoon. Last summer I build a new section of fence and got a little carried away tightening the fence wire, when I came back the next morning the wire was way up in the air across the draws had pulled out the tie downs. You flat land people probably have no idea what I am talking about.

-RSC

Guys, you can't judge a picture by what you think you see. For instance, the corner post in the righthand side of the 1st picture is really the butt end of an un-used telephone. this post is probably 10 feet or more longlong, Soooo, based on the picture you really can't tell how deep it is.

If any of you doubt that the post are tight, when you come thru the area, I'll let you dig a couple postholes 3' - 4" deep in this hard red clay and by the time you get to the bottom, you also will think it is deep enough. There is no frost line here so that doesn't even come into consideration.

Red Alabama clay sets up hard.

Nice fence.
Where did you get those post holes? I could use 3 or 400 feet at most any price in Alabama Red Rocky Clay. I am like your pop. That fence can ger rebuilt by the grand kids.
Come see me some time.

Digging post holes by hand can take 45 min. around here. I did it that way as a kid. If the moisture ain't right a power digger will just sit on top a spin. Our soil can go from red clay to white gumbo twice in the same 3 foot hole. If you walk across a cotton field after a rain you will be several inches taller in just a few steps. This stuff sticks to everthing, post included. I have drilled beside post to remove them and still broke them off before they came out. His fence will be there for a long time.

Latest posts