Picture says it all!

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest":3g0kd7q0 said:
As former POTUS famously said, "I feeeeeeel yer pain."

We're missing a just weaned fullblood calf. We think a very large predator drug it off the property and had a snack. But if that isn't the reason, we might be missing a calf for the same reason as you ... or maybe an alien space ship came ... losing a nice one and not having any idea what really happened is a weird / bad feeling.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I can relate to that this fall at weaning time I realized one of my best steers had just disappeared. Check with all the neighbors. It's still a mystery. B&G

Sorry for your loss. That's one of those accidents that can happen. Lost an around 6 month old Holstein heifer that way several years ago.

Black and Good":216ds6u7 said:
WalnutCrest":216ds6u7 said:

We're missing a just weaned fullblood calf. We think a very large predator drug it off the property and had a snack. But if that isn't the reason, we might be missing a calf for the same reason as you ... or maybe an alien space ship came ... losing a nice one and not having any idea what really happened is a weird / bad feeling.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I can relate to that this fall at weaning time I realized one of my best steers had just disappeared. Check with all the neighbors. It's still a mystery. B&G

An acquaintance (friend?) once had people coming on his property at night (a few thousand acres), field dressing an entire animal, cleaning up and leaving. The only way they got caught was when the sheriff called on them to check on a warrant for a speeding ticket and he saw a ton (!) of bones. Apparently, these people picked nights that had lots of moonlight and were to have quite a bit of rain in the early morning hours to help wash away the evidence. He lost two or three donor-quality bred cows this way...and got nothing for them.

Black and Good":2fzh89nf said:
WalnutCrest":2fzh89nf said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Saturday morning, I was out looking for signs of anything (it was the first time in a week I was with this group during daylight) before the rain / ice was to arrive.

After about 30 minutes of walking, I notice a group of calves in a small group in an alley way from one pasture to the next. I go count noses. No extra calf.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I see one. On the neighbors place. Grazing!

Fifteen minutes later, I find the hole he found (I didn't know it was there for all of the brush covering the hole).

I head home to grab lunch and the family with supplies to fix the hole in the fence, thinking I may need the help getting him to the correct side of the fence.

When we all arrive, he figured it out himself, and so, we were quite over staffed for the fence repair.

A very welcome resolution!

WalnutCrest":1y85b2cx said:
Black and Good":1y85b2cx said:
WalnutCrest":1y85b2cx said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Saturday morning, I was out looking for signs of anything (it was the first time in a week I was with this group during daylight) before the rain / ice was to arrive.

After about 30 minutes of walking, I notice a group of calves in a small group in an alley way from one pasture to the next. I go count noses. No extra calf.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I see one. On the neighbors place. Grazing!

Fifteen minutes later, I find the hole he found (I didn't know it was there for all of the brush covering the hole).

I head home to grab lunch and the family with supplies to fix the hole in the fence, thinking I may need the help getting him to the correct side of the fence.

When we all arrive, he figured it out himself, and so, we were quite over staffed for the fence repair.

A very welcome resolution!

Walnut, I'm glad my luck is not spreading to other farms in KS! LOL. Glad you got him back in. B&G

Black and Good":gact2mih said:
On 12/30/16 I had a Reg. Black Gelbvieh heifer lay down and have her first PB calf on her own. It was dark so no pictures taken. Anyway, we had a cold snap come through when this calf was bout a week old, I noticed mamma bawling for her calf. I originally thought it was just laying outside the fence but then I found this!! :( :roll: When a heifer does such a good job having, cleaning, mothering etc. things like this make me sick. Welcome to the cattle business right. B&G

:bang: :bang:

Just checking to see if things have improved at your ranch, I had a beautiful 7 year old AI'd to Priority lay down and pass over night, made me think of you and your lost calf.

mncowboy":ht0woy4z said:
Black and Good":ht0woy4z said:
On 12/30/16 I had a Reg. Black Gelbvieh heifer lay down and have her first PB calf on her own. It was dark so no pictures taken. Anyway, we had a cold snap come through when this calf was bout a week old, I noticed mamma bawling for her calf. I originally thought it was just laying outside the fence but then I found this!! :( :roll: When a heifer does such a good job having, cleaning, mothering etc. things like this make me sick. Welcome to the cattle business right. B&G

Just checking to see if things have improved at your ranch, I had a beautiful 7 year old AI'd to Priority lay down and pass over night, made me think of you and your lost calf.
Sorry mncowboy, very sorry :frowns:

mncowboy":3tfnald7 said:
Black and Good":3tfnald7 said:

So sorry for your loss! Things have improved with calving so far, but I did have a bull fail his test recently. So, I'm dealing with getting him replaced. Thanks for checking on me. I hope things start looking up soon. B&G

Latest posts