Pics of the horse I went to see today

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
This is the guy I went to see today. Wet weather and a bunch of silly little things kept me from seeing him sooner.

His name is Patch, he is a 13.2hh gelding, and he is 24/25 yrs old.

When I got there he was up in the paddock with the sheep, the owner went out and caught him easily, looped a lead rope round his neck and he walked in.

The toddlers were jumping all over him, brushing him, climbing on him bareback, sliding off his bum, and he didnt even bat an eyelid.

The sixteen year old daughter came and rode him for me, he walked, trotted, cantered and even jumped reasonably happily. Certainly not a sluggish plodder. She went to pony club with him for 8 years but has lost interest.

The toddlers had a ride on him while the older one led them round, he was quite happy to do it.

I picked up his feet and cleaned them out, he stood quietly. He's a barefoot horse, they have always just trimmed him.

I rubbed him and touched him all over and he didnt bat an eyelid.

He did nip at me a little when I did his girth up but when I growled he stopped it.

He hasnt been getting any hay or feed, just running in the paddock, and he's not fat, probably a touch on the lean side but I figure with ponies thats not necessarily a bad thing.

No founder or colic history.

They dont get his teeth done.

He is good to worm, he hasnt been vaccinated.

Good to float and fine in traffic.

They said they do rug him during winter, and the only health issue they have had was when he didnt get rugged during winter, he got very thin and required a vet visit to administer vitamins etc. and get him back on his feet.

He comes with his bridle, an all purpose saddle, a stock saddle, his rug, grooming gear, jumps and a bunch of other bits and pieces.

What I am after is a good solid horse, for myself (I have only been riding 6 months) and also for my 6 nephews to learn to ride on. I imagine he will be gently ridden 2 - 3 times a week, probably just a WT and occasionally a WTC.

Interested to hear your thoughts on him (including the bit)

16032010003.jpg

16032010004.jpg

16032010005.jpg

16032010006.jpg

16032010007.jpg

I will get more photos of him in action next time I go out to ride him.

he is uber cute keren! and looks exceedingly well for his age with the fact hes simply on pasture...sounds like his teeth are still in really good shape..which means alot to me..

the girthiness is minor..my old mare gets girthy when she needs to be adjusted by the chiropractor.

his issues in the winter..I think thats older horse for ya..

I would personaly pay to have a vet give him a once over..espc because of his age..to make sure he is healthy enough to last you abit...it certainly sounds like it, but we cant see whats going on inside their bodies.

Vaccinations..has he ever had ANY vaccinations? many people dont vaccinate every year, simply due to the fact many animals are over vaccinated..

Im having a hard time seeing the bit..it looks like some sort of weymouth? Im looking at them on my phone..my eyeballs arent that good!

Sarah

You sure he's that old? Sure doesn't look it.. I'd put a pad(?)between the bit and the lip(cannot come up with the name) Had a bit with that swivel and caught my horses lip in it!! Sure made him throw his head..
Wish he was younger so you could have him for a looong time..

peg4x4":2g1g72zu said:
You sure he's that old? Sure doesn't look it

peg that was my first thought when they brought him down from the paddock. but they think he was fifteen or so when they got him, and they've had him for 8/9 years

Sarah, from my limited knowledge, and from consulting horsey friends lol the bit is a pelham, with a converter to a single rein. I've only used a snaffle previously. They said they got that one because pony club told them they needed it, with the curb chain, to pull him up. They hated the chain so use it without. He was fine. I need to ask them how he goes in a snaffle.

spinandslide":2yi936yy said:
I would personaly pay to have a vet give him a once over..espc because of his age..to make sure he is healthy enough to last you abit...it certainly sounds like it, but we cant see whats going on inside their bodies.

I have to agree with this, could be the best money you spent and the vet should be able to get a pretty good age on him. Here's something my trainer did with me when looking at horses, set a time to see the horse than show up early. Like a half and hour or more. You will see him hopefully before they get him ready. Also, you need to ride him, walk, trot, canter and see if they will let you do this on more than one occasion. Just my thoughts Keren, good luck!

What a nice solid looking little horse! Looks like you hit the jackpot with him. I think that peg is thinking of bit guards.

One thing about a pelham bit. It is a curb bit and a curb bit is designed to be used with a curb chain. without it the bit does not work properly and can put excessive pressure on the poll. The bit is not a harsh bit with the curb chain.

He sounds like a nice guy. Congrats on your find
happy.gif

Looks good from the pix and sounds pretty good. My concern is his age. Do the vet check and listen to the advice. Price needs to be right for the age - you are more than likely going to be "stuck" with him for his retirement. (because if you are anything like me sentiment will possess your good sense when it comes to paint horses :roll: ) Do you have pasture or can you afford to feed him then - especially if you will be having a riding replacement to feed as well.

He looks like a proper little 'live wire' but I personally would feel too guilty to ride him even though I weigh 50kg. If you correlate human and horse age he should be about 70yrs :shock: .Just the way I feel :D

chippie":15ivout9 said:
What a nice solid looking little horse! Looks like you hit the jackpot with him. I think that peg is thinking of bit guards.

One thing about a pelham bit. It is a curb bit and a curb bit is designed to be used with a curb chain. without it the bit does not work properly and can put excessive pressure on the poll. The bit is not a harsh bit with the curb chain.

He sounds like a nice guy. Congrats on your find
happy.gif

I agree with Chippies comments about the pelham..it really needs to have the curb on there.

Hippie rancher did bring up a good point..regarding retirement..my husband wants to sell horses before they get old..me, I always end up with a pasture puff who is retired and eating..only plus is most of them were easy keepers, so it didnt take much to keep them. :)

I have no problem supporting him after his riding days are over, I figure he's deserved it

Alison, I get your point, I do, and I would never ride a horse that was emotionally old. But you should see this guy ... he craves a good run. He's not being used, and I've been out there another time now and oh gosh, he gets so excited to have a bit of work. He is definitely a goer, we went through all his paces, worked the sheep etc he loved it. We rode for 2 hrs and he never slowed down.

Oh, I wanted to ask - he stumbled a couple times during a trot - is that something I should be worried about? Not enough to make me nervous on him (and trust me, I'm nervous enough as it is), I still felt safe, but does that indicate a potential problem?

Keren, it could be..but is also could be something as simple as needing a better farrier to work on him.
the vet check mentioned may help figure out exactly what it is..

Agree with Spinandslide about the farrier. A good one is worth there weight in gold.

Patch is perdy. good looking lil devil, and looks to be put together good. Little short for me though. my feet would drag the ground. :)

Congradulations on your new bestest friend. alot of good times ahead of you.

Beckett

Beckett":5alnu6q5 said:
Agree with Spinandslide about the farrier. A good one is worth there weight in gold.

Patch is perdy. good looking lil devil, and looks to be put together good. Little short for me though. my feet would drag the ground. :)

Beckett

Tell me about it- height

Keren, if you and I ever go riding it would be quite the sight.

let me tell yall something about height..after riding the 17.2 plus hand monsters when I was young and did 3 day eventing..I now find alot of comfort in the smaller equines..my newest one will be lucky to hit 14 hands..perfect for me at 5'3..:)

aussie_cowgirl":rofehalx said:
Beckett":rofehalx said:

Beckett

Tell me about it- height

Keren, if you and I ever go riding it would be quite the sight.

Indeed, we definitely will one day, and will have to post the pictures here for everyone to laugh at :D

Latest posts