Pics of my cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I've got lots of pics yesterday right before sundown. I'm only going to post a half dozen or so at a time. As you can see, we have a motley crew. I'm looking for some constructive criticism (in other words, if you don't the looksof them, or think some or all are mutts; please tell me why). They are a mixed bunch because my wife started buying orphans at the sale where she worked, and then we had an opportunity to by my Dad's herd after he died. Dad had simmental bulls on the white face cattle for about 7 years. We just put a black bull back on them in August.
022.jpg
[/img]

021.jpg
[/img]

017.jpg
[/img]

016.jpg
[/img]

006.jpg
[/img]

034.jpg
[/img]

Thanks slick. I was trying to figure out what I did wrong, when I noticed you did this for me. Thank you. Is it because I clicked the on this board, and pasted the photobucket [IMG] between them? Do I even need to click the [img] on this board to paste a photobucket link? I know I had it figured out the other night, but it took 3 beers, and I've slept since then.

Oh, and I just notice those pictures have a date/time stamp on them. I guess I have never set that on my $29 vivitar camera that not even that old. These pics were taken last evening, with the sun on the horizon

Ouach...some nice looking beasts there....thanks for sharing.
on photobucket once you have hit the img code and it says copied thats all you need do until you come on here and hit paste from your mouse.

Ouachita":308gvn2i said:

What about the narrow hind quarters on this heifer? Is that what you call chisel butt? I'll have to double check when my wife gets home to look at the her calender, but I think she's going on 17 months old. Was bred first part of September. She's out of simmental bull, and she's standing next to momma in the 2nd picture of my first post.

Ouachita":2dzqr6h2 said:
Ouachita":2dzqr6h2 said:

What about the narrow hind quarters on this heifer? Is that what you call chisel butt? I'll have to double check when my wife gets home to look at the her calender, but I think she's going on 17 months old. Was bred first part of September. She's out of simmental bull, and she's standing next to momma in the 2nd picture of my first post.
We always called it hatchet A$.$. Nice looking calves.

Chita? Okay, that's cool. Never thought about it. For those unfamilar with my user name 'Ouachita', it is pronounced 'Washita' (like the hills in SW OK. It's an Indian word, and I chose it because we are in the middle of the Ouachita National Forest, which runs east/west from about Talahina OK, to near Little Rock AR, and north/south from the Arkansas River on the North, southward to the Broken Bow OK area

Isomade":3uigpjk1 said:
Ouachita":3uigpjk1 said:
Ouachita":3uigpjk1 said:

We always called it hatchet A$.$. Nice looking calves.

Okay, I like your term better :lol: . So, do you think she'll fill out a bit? You know, being pregnated and all. And after the baby comes, will she blame it on the baby? 8) .
Seriously now, does she look a bit slim for birthing? I know she's got another 7 months. Just curious what ya'll think. Do I need a more direct shot (pic) from the south end?

I can't tell enough from pics to really tell. I don't like to post pics of my cattle cause they never look the same as real life, sometimes better sometimes worse. As far as filling out and developing an azz, no she won't. If she doesn't by now she ain't gonna. If she produces good I wouldn't worry a bit about it though.

I've found the same about pictures not capturing 3D very well...

I found they usually lose muscle as they age rather than gain it (at least as far as appearance goes), partly because the hips get more developed. I have high hopes from my 11T heifer (posted in another thread some time ago), and she's from my 16 year old girl... she's got the meatiest butt of the herd so far, I'll see how she looks as a long yearling

Ouichita, I'm not fond of the udder of that black cow.. if it's a heifer, I'd say there's hope for her, but if she's older than 4 years, I dont' think there'd be much improvement... however, I've seen lousy udders make a lot of milk as well..

Nesikep":309no63b said:
Ouichita, I'm not fond of the udder of that black cow.. if it's a heifer, I'd say there's hope for her, but if she's older than 4 years, I dont' think there'd be much improvement... however, I've seen lousy udders make a lot of milk as well..

This gal is about 26 months old. When I bought her along with the rest of that herd, she was about 9 months old, and bred, although I didn't know until much later. Came home one day and calf was at side. Never did have much of a bag. We thought it was because she was so young/bred to early. Her calf did ok, but was only about 250 when we sent it along with a load to sale. I've slept since then, but seem to recall thinking it best to get that calf off of that calf. We just bred her back 2 months ago. One more chance? If not, I think she will still do well at sale as replacement
Thanks Nesikep. Thats the kind of feedback I've been looking for

Ouachita":17fev2uc said:
Nesikep":17fev2uc said:

This gal is about 26 months old. When I bought her along with the rest of that herd, she was about 9 months old, and bred, although I didn't know until much later. Came home one day and calf was at side. Never did have much of a bag. We thought it was because she was so young/bred to early. Her calf did ok, but was only about 250 when we sent it along with a load to sale. I've slept since then, but seem to recall thinking it best to get that calf off of that calf. We just bred her back 2 months ago. One more chance? If not, I think she will still do well at sale as replacement

Good looking cattle. Sounds like you have a good strategy for improvement.

Larry

larryshoat":26dbj82e said:
Ouachita":26dbj82e said:
Nesikep":26dbj82e said:

Good looking cattle. Sounds like you have a good strategy for improvement.

Larry

Thanks Larry, but actually the strategy is still a work in progress, that seems to change frequently. I expect it always will. I'm still learning, and need all the help and advise I can get.

We had a calf bred at about 8 or 9 months, calved in the middle of august the next year (not what we expected), but she always made small calves (500 lb tops), but we kept her for 4 years and got 4 calves from her... I can't recommend keeping her longer than necessary... If you have plenty of feed and she makes calves, that's fine, but she'd be the first to cull for me if I had more promising looking calves to keep

Latest posts