Pics of my balancer bull...critique away

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my balancer bull I bought this early spring. He is about 20 months old. He is out of B/R Destination 727-928 and a great looking Gelbvieh cow. I have his epd's and will post them tomorrow when I can get the paperwork out. He is not a perfect bull but he is very decent in my book. His number lean to low BW but with moderate to above average growth numbers. He is Homo black. I put him on about 20 2nd calf cows and heifers this past Monday. He is doing his job. Physically he is pretty well balanced with decent muscle. He will not be an overly large bull. His scrotal was measured at 36 cm at his BSE at 16 months of age. I apologize for the sorry pics but it was raining and I decided to stay outside the corral where he had followed a couple of cows that were coming in. Confined space, cows in heat and worked up bull are not good for your health. I will try to get some better pics on another day. Go ahead and post your opinions based off what you can tell from the pics. I have thick skin :)

P5280040.jpg

P5280041.jpg

P5280038.jpg

P5280042.jpg

Looks long and thick and good depth,but not fed. At less than 2 years old.

As they say , the proof is in the calves but at 20 months I can't knock him. I'd use him in a second.

He's a nice bull and looks like he's pretty clean. Shouldn't give you too many problems with calving . I like the rear end on that red cow, is she a Gelbvieh.

3waycross":2hh12hvi said:
He's a nice bull and looks like he's pretty clean. Shouldn't give you too many problems with calving . I like the rear end on that red cow, is she a Gelbvieh.

Thanks 3way. She is a RA X Limi. I have a few like her. Great calf raisers with good growth, good mommas but won't try and kill you at calving.

Ribeye":2qztin3j said:
Good lookin bull Hoss, Do you mind if I ask who you bought him from.

Not at all Ribeye.....I bought him from Circle M Farms in McMinnville. The owner was great to do business with and stands behind his bulls.

HOSS":32wf0l4i said:
3waycross":32wf0l4i said:

Thanks 3way. She is a RA X Limi. I have a few like her. Great calf raisers with good growth, good mommas but won't try and kill you at calving.

Nice cow and she will compliment him real well in the but dept.

Can someone tell me what a "balancer" bull is please? Not familiar with that term here in Australia.....

jilleroo":1bjaf3v1 said:
Can someone tell me what a "balancer" bull is please? Not familiar with that term here in Australia.....

Balancer = gelbvieh/angus cross. Or some folks use it to describe a percentage gelbvieh animal, the other part isn't necessarily angus in their case.

OK.....here are the EPD's from the balancer bull in the pics that I promised to post:

BW 0.2
WW 33
YW 77
MILK 17
REA 0.04
MB 0.1

cfpinz":3c968go6 said:
jilleroo":3c968go6 said:

Balancer = gelbvieh/angus cross. Or some folks use it to describe a percentage gelbvieh animal, the other part isn't necessarily angus in their case.

In this bulls case he is 50% angus and 50% gelbvieh.

TNMasterBeefProducer":yddl0wwc said:
Looks good to me hoss. I reckon he will do good work for ya. What did he weigh when you picked him up? Looks like he has a brangus sheath though.

TMBP, He weighed about 1300 pounds when I got him. He was on heavy creep feed of a 16% protien. I slowly brought him off feed so now he is only on grass and minerals. He lost weight but I am hoping he adjusts better to the grass now that he is getting over the green grass squirts.

I thought his sheath was fairly tight and close but the downward angle was a downside but not enough to worry me out of buying him. We have already put him on our Jersey nurse cow and he had no problems getting the job done on her.

I just noticed that I screwed up on his age. He is not quite 19 months old and not 20 like I stated.

TNMasterBeefProducer":19pyxudj said:
Still a good bull no matter what age he is. What was his birthweight, weaning weight, and yearling weight?

Thanks TMBP. I am going from memory here ( we saw how that worked on age) but his birth weight was 86 lbs. and I think his weaning weight was near 600 and yearling weight was around 1000. I think I have exact numbers at home.

This bull looks good considering he is coming off creep feed as well as having adjusted to his new permanent teeth. This is the age that we typically fall "out of" love with a bull simply because they are in an adjustment phase with losing their baby teeth. If he has recently gone through these changes and still presents himself well he is probably going to be a very functional herdsire. I am very interested in the performance of Gelbvieh on English based cattle.

Good choice.

Mr. Greenjeans

TNMasterBeefProducer":tkudeywy said:
I dont doubt that he did a number on her. My recent bull purchased weighed 1500 when I bought him at 14 months. He had a 12 month yearling weight of 1340 pounds. He is now 16 months old and weighs about 1650 to 1700. He got about 5 pounds of grain the first week he was here to get him friendly and he has just taken off on ryegrass, and fescue. I would say by the time he is two he should be around 1800. I dont think he will ever be as big as my main herd bull who weighs 2300 as a 3 yr old.

TN.
I run a lot lower weight Bulls and I am curious if these size bulls will through low weight calves. Also what kind of Bulls are these. We have 6 Angus and one Charlois. and I think they only weigh 1200 to 1500 lbs. Is there an advantage of running such big Bulls.

baxter78":3tgjcxrc said:
He advised me that he just purchased the new yearling bull. The bull is top 1% for weaning weight, top 1% for yearling weight, top 1% carcass weight, and top 5% maternal weaning weight. He weighed 82 pounds weaned at 205 days at 777 off mothers milk and grass and weighed 1340 pounds as a yearling.

Wow he must be the best ever

Latest posts