pics of cow problems and other stuff -- for the newbies

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall":3m5vzwe8 said:
When you talk about the hernia, are you talking about the navel area. I have two cows that have navels just like that. Is that a bad thing?

Yeah, the enlarged navel... I think it is only a bad thing if the skin is punctured...?? We have a heifer like that now shes had it since she was born. We also had a cow that had one her whole life and didn't seem to bother her. I think, but I'm not sure it is that the stomach/body wall didn't close up when they were a calf so part of the stomach is down in that little "pot".

sewall":jaz4zsd2 said:
When you talk about the hernia, are you talking about the navel area. I have two cows that have navels just like that. Is that a bad thing?

Some breeds, like Braham-influenced cows, naturally have a lot of "hide", and they just have a lot of skin around the throat, chest, and navel/sheath area. Beefy, I'm sure you've got a good pic of your beefmasters that'd show that.

I found the Merck Vet Manual explained hernias better than I could... "Hernias involving the abdomen are seen when abdominal contents protrude through a natural or abnormal opening in the body wall. They may be congenital or acquired. In acquired hernias, there is usually a history of trauma. Congenital hernias may involve the diaphragm or the abdominal wall. Hernias involving the abdominal wall include umbilical, inguinal, or scrotal." If you push on the lump at the navel area and can get the area to go back up into the abdominal cavity, you have a hernia. You can also feel the ring of the hole where the intestines came through; on calves, it's usually around the size of a half-dollar, larger animals I've found to be more fist-sized.

i'm going to go look for some problems to take pictures of right now milkmaid. hopefully i wont find very much.

Here is a calf that had an infected ear as a calf. Unfortunately we did not catch it in time and now the ear is permanantly deformed. Cause by incorrect tagging, or just that this calf had a reaction to the ear tag. We had 2 this year (usually we have none) The other calf was caught early enough that his ear healed up normally.

Good job MM....ever thought about working on a "read me first" thread for the new folks in the business?
Couldn't get a shot of a scowering calf or normal and loose plops, I'll keep a camera at the ready just in case.
Good luck on your next year at school....Dave Mc

Yes thanks for the pictures. I am a newbie and learned much with just the pictures alone and details. Great!

Susie David":2m5wxuxe said:
Good job MM....ever thought about working on a "read me first" thread for the new folks in the business?

I hadn't... that's a good idea though. Maybe next week. ;-)

Thanks y'all, and you're welcome; glad you're finding the pictures helpful.

milkmaid here are some pics you may or may not want to include. put them wherever you want to and elaborate on them and then i'll delete mine to save bandwidth.

this old angus cow is a good example of bottlejaw, in her case from being very wormy. also note the depressed look she has
Picture2605.jpg

this one is just normal underline of brahman influence calf to compare with hernia of nonbrahman influenced animal. i can probably find a better example.
Picture2608.jpg

edited to say heres another.
Picture1134.jpg

Warts. notice texture, looks like cauliflower.
Picture496.jpg

more later.

(well crap, isee you already have a bottlejaw.)

heifer 24 hours prior to calving.
994bc5bc.jpg

same heifer calving the next day.
Picture173.jpg

placental attachment
A.jpg

vaginal prolapse
Picture250.jpg

Thanks beefy! :) :) I moved some of the pics into the thread so that they're easier to see/find.

Have any pics of calving problems? I ran a search on the board and found some pics of malformed calves, but I'm not sure I want to put pics of those in a newbie thread, LOL... some of those pics are rather disgusting. :p

6b5941fbf62a.jpg

Aborted Holstein calf. I'll get the number of months she was pregnant tonight.

If you don't want this pic on this thread tell me MM. :)

born2run":30usgvcf said:
6b5941fbf62a.jpg

Aborted Holstein calf. I'll get the number of months she was pregnant tonight.

If you don't want this pic on this thread tell me MM. :)

Thats sad, but a different type of experience to go through that, its cool pic, glad you posted it. How many months was the fetus. My guess is 5-7 months of age, but thats my guess. Im I close?

A couple of possibilities, nothing solid. She was given oxytocin 3 times a day for milk letdown, but it could've also been a slight ration change.

born2run":23dk50ek said:
A couple of possibilities, nothing solid. She was given oxytocin 3 times a day for milk letdown, but it could've also been a slight ration change.

True, thanks for the info!

Latest posts