pics of cow problems and other stuff -- for the newbies

Help Support CattleToday:

My female calf i just noticed this hai r loss in here this morning & my bull calfs he's been like the way his is but looks to be growing back some
What can I do
Pictures won't upload so please email me if u have a solution
[email protected]

Would anyone know what fly bites would look like on a angus bull? We bought a two yr old , from a young farmer , and when they brought it over, it has spots on both sides, he said it was from fly bites, ( really)....we have never seen anything like this, has anyone ever seen anything like this???? It's not warts, just looks like white spots on his hide, ?????
Thanks for any info , Farmerclark

Farmerclark":pn4xzmak said:
Would anyone know what fly bites would look like on a angus bull? We bought a two yr old , from a young farmer , and when they brought it over, it has spots on both sides, he said it was from fly bites, ( really)....we have never seen anything like this, has anyone ever seen anything like this???? It's not warts, just looks like white spots on his hide, ?????
Thanks for any info , Farmerclark

Man years ago, I had bought a cow, which was pure Black Angus. (I knew the cow well, prior to purchase, I knew her heritage). As the years passed, she developed white spots/polka-dots, starting at her shoulders and eventually were scattered throughout her body. Noticable in Summertime mainly. Nick-named her "Spotty Cow"ers were not fly bites. Just an odd color deal. Similar to Bend'Or spots on Thoroughbred horses.

Unless the spots you are talking about are also raised bumps, I wouldn't be to concerned about them.

Have you got pictures?

Here's pic of mud fever, took over an hour with 2 vets to figure it out, caused by standing in mud, with heat and high insect population, need to remove them from mud, pour on, iodine every day

I have not looked at all 9 pages. But the initial post did not show a uterine prolapse. It's quite something to see. Incredible how a cow could even survive such an ordeal. This cow unfortunately didnt make it. But I have heard some do.
Big difference between a vaginal prolapse and a uterine prolapse. From what I've read, the vaginal prolapse is more common before birth, whereas a uterine prolapse occurs after birth.

MurraysMutts said:
I have not looked at all 9 pages. But the initial post did not show a uterine prolapse. It's quite something to see. Incredible how a cow could even survive such an ordeal. This cow unfortunately didnt make it. But I have heard some do.
Big difference between a vaginal prolapse and a uterine prolapse. From what I've read, the vaginal prolapse is more common before birth, whereas a uterine prolapse occurs after birth.

Vaginal does generally occur prior to calving and can be stitched - as long as you cut the threads before she calves. Vaginal is often hereditary and will only get worse if you don't cull. Uterine is almost always a one time event due to a large calf, possibly mal-placed or backward or for whatever reason the cow continues to push after the calf is out. No reason to cull if successfully caught in time. But yeah, definitely scary!

Latest posts