Picking heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
It's getting time for me to pick the keepers out of the bred heifers. We already pulled six out that are targeted for the Maternal Gems Sale on May 8th. I am looking at retaining 15 of this group. I confess it hasn't been easy there are some dandy's in this group and I can't keep them all but dang they are not making it easy.

https://fb.watch/3rcVZgevuC/

looks like some really superior heifers in the group. would sure like some in my herd. I can see why it is hard to narrow down to just 15.

looks like some really superior heifers in the group. would sure like some in my herd. I can see why it is hard to narrow down to just 15.
https://fb.watch/3rVDrHVHQi/ this is a video of the bull we have with them natural cover he is Ingram Colonel 8266 Reg# 19377211. We AI'd on natural heats to SAV Rainfall 6846 reg# 18578963, SS Niagara Z29 Reg# 17287387, Hoover Counselor N29 Reg# 17879330 and a bull that isn't in any AI stud but we have semen on RB Nemo Reg# 16765791 We didn't catch them all in heat I am sure some cycled and we missed them but we caught what we could. I think I have selected my 15 but need to stay away because every time I think I have it figured out another one catches my eye and I start second guessing myself. I honestly think this is the best set of heifers we have had from top to bottom.

It's getting time for me to pick the keepers out of the bred heifers. We already pulled six out that are targeted for the Maternal Gems Sale on May 8th. I am looking at retaining 15 of this group. I confess it hasn't been easy there are some dandy's in this group and I can't keep them all but dang they are not making it easy.

https://fb.watch/3rcVZgevuC/
How far are they away from calving? keep them till they calve....still a lot of variables....the best looking ones don't always make the best cows.

How far are they away from calving? keep them till they calve....still a lot of variables....the best looking ones don't always make the best cows.
Banjo I don't pick the keepers on looks alone we use a number of factors such as:

1. When was she born we prefer early in calving season.
  2. Genetics
  3. Phenotype
  4. Feet/leg structure
  5. Performance
So not just on looks, and your right even with all that we may end up selling the best heifer but I can't keep them all until calving. Some are Indian Heifers ( you know cows are sacred in India) so I call them my Indian heifers those are the ones out of a super old cow that is at the end of her career so may be my last chance at keeping a heifer, but even that one has to meet the above criteria. Picking the keepers is going to impact our herd for years to come so we sure want to get it right.

Girls are quite consistent and look nice. Gizmon, how do you develop your heifers post weaning?

gizmom,
i would be interested in seeing the counselor calves after you get some on the ground. especially out of heifers that good.

The heifers are fed either wet brewers grain or cpc feed depending on the quantity of brewers grain we pick up that week. We want to maintain a Min ADG of 11/2 pounds a day. So they are not fed heavy just enough to keep them growing. Scott I will let you know when we get some counselors on the ground, I sure like the look of him.

The heifers are fed either wet brewers grain or cpc feed depending on the quantity of brewers grain we pick up that week. We want to maintain a Min ADG of 11/2 pounds a day. So they are not fed heavy just enough to keep them growing. Scott I will let you know when we get some counselors on the ground, I sure like the look of him.
Similar to my thinking Gizmon. Mine are on pretty average winter pasture after weaning in autumn and I supplement them with a grain mix at whatever rate to keep them growing at around .75kg/day so I have a good chance of getting them pregnant in spring to spit the calf out at 2 yrs of age.

Ken

1BF2D43D-4645-4EF8-BF07-DB02B614FA0E.jpeg
A friend came over to the farm yesterday and took a bunch of photos. She is much better at photography than me this is the heifer pen.
440DA6C4-5170-4826-B56B-D441A29F9165.jpeg
This is Sparkel a Jersey bred heifer out of our nurse cow she has been sold. We moved her back with the heifer group after we confirmed her safe AI to a Jersey bull.

AADFE012-C613-4B53-BB7D-320885F23312.jpegTammy was able to get a really cool shot of the eagles that make the farm home.
7C98144F-6F40-4ED1-B47E-64A5C43C9F0B.jpeg
A09FD6B5-A136-4049-8096-E22D0023DF36.jpeg
7F5EE082-B5B2-4193-A2E2-8899F0ECF253.jpeg
I had to share I thought they were cool photos

https://fb.watch/3rVDrHVHQi/ this is a video of the bull we have with them natural cover he is Ingram Colonel 8266 Reg# 19377211. We AI'd on natural heats to SAV Rainfall 6846 reg# 18578963, SS Niagara Z29 Reg# 17287387, Hoover Counselor N29 Reg# 17879330 and a bull that isn't in any AI stud but we have semen on RB Nemo Reg# 16765791 We didn't catch them all in heat I am sure some cycled and we missed them but we caught what we could. I think I have selected my 15 but need to stay away because every time I think I have it figured out another one catches my eye and I start second guessing myself. I honestly think this is the best set of heifers we have had from top to bottom.
Would you sale any Nemo semen?

Latest posts