Picking bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Man am I confused now :???: I have just read ton and ton of info on epds and weither to base your bull decision on them, using them as a guide or only believing a slight amount or totally believing in them.

Here is my situation: I own currently 3 cows and 2 heifers the breed is shorthorn. ( yes a hobby farm) I would like to cross 3 of the herd with red angus bulls.

This is what my goals are with my small herd; I am looking for the best of both worlds 50% show and 50% commercial or in each animal. I am looking to grow my herd by a few within, so I am looking for a calve that would make good mothers with decent pedigrees that I can breed with some top notch bulls that would make some nice show calves but also hold there own in sales?

So what bulls do I use red angus wise? Of course main concern is calving ease any suggestions? I was thinking above and beyond for a heifer, fat tony, sekic? any others that you think would give good results

From our experience Sakis isn;t really a heifer bull, calves generally have been fairly large. As long as you have pelvic measurments on the heifers and feel comfortable with an 85 lb first calf he would work. My choice would be and has been Jerico from acclerated. We've used him on both cows and heifers and really like what we've seen. I don;t know how showy his calves are but one of his sons is going to the fair s this year in the market steer class.

Are your shorthorns registered or crossbred? It could be difficult to find a red angus that would cross well with a shorthorn and stand a fighting chance in the commercial rings. My suggestion would be to pick out 2 or 3 that you think would do well showing (basically pick one cow per showperson in the family) and breed those to a good showy bull and breed the rest to a good maternally oriented bull for growing the commercial herd. That would make bull decisions much easier, and after a few years it will help you decide which avenue you'd rather go.

Latest posts