Picked up a new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
hurleyjd said:
Yep you never know if a heifer will produce you a live calf or not, that is the nature of the game. Hope you have no troubles with the calving.
Don't understand that statement. Obviously, we never know if ANYTHING (people, cows, pigs, etc) will produce a live calf, but I sure do EXPECT to get a live calf out of all my heifers and cows.
I don't have any more problems with heifers than I do with cows. 99% of assisted calvings (for me) are due to mal-presentations. If, in this day of information, you are having dystocia due to large calves regularly, I would switch out your program for something else.

I don't have any blue ribbons, or any papered cattle. But I've been around cattle that where expected to take care of themselves my entire life. I've pulled a lot of calves. And I will say without a doubt inexperience can play into calving problems every bit as much as size. If you've never seen a older cow lay down, twist around, get up and repeat calm and cool as she positions the calf herself. Vs a heifer that lays down and pushes till exhaustion, or panics and does no telling what. ..you haven't been paying attention...
A mature cow is both bigger and more experienced. And very much more capable of dealing with a malposition d calf than a heifer.

Good onya. She looks like a very, very drowned rat in that first photo. Nice comfortable weight. What would you have expected the calf to weigh if born at your place Ron?

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Good onya. She looks like a very, very drowned rat in that first photo. Nice comfortable weight. What would you have expected the calf to weigh if born at your place Ron?

Ken

Ken, Kentuckyguy bought that heifer only about 2 months ago. If anything she looks to me like she added condition. He has very good forage. I think the calf would have weighed the same if she had been calved out here. The sire is what is holding down the birthweight. My cows and the bulls I use are not calving ease, more in the moderate or higher end.

I`ll take a 62 # calf that is up and on it`s mother over a 102 # calf that's too lazy to get up on it`s own any day. Congratulations on a nice heifer.

Kentuckyguy, I'm still upset with you getting there and buying Cocoa before I could!
Congratulations on her first calf(and on your purchase of a great heifer). May she bring you many, many more!

She's definitely been great to have around. The entire family enjoys having her.

She gets a good back scratching from everybody. The kids love that they can pet on her.

Great looking pair. Glad there was no complications and hope she has many more calves. Three years later you can post some photos of the third generation of calves from your new mama.

Congrats that is a nice pair. It is always nice to own cattle that are that docile. They may be a pain to get in the chute but every other day of the year they are worth the trouble.

Bright Raven said "Kentuckyguy posted that picture shortly after he bought her, the picture of the heifer did not have the proportion she had when he picked her up off the farm. It goes to show how pictures can misrepresent the subject. In that first picture, the heifer appears bigger, more rotund, and fuller than she does in real life. At least in my opinion."------In pictures, I always appear bigger, more rotund, and fuller than I believe I am in real life.

Latest posts