Picked up a new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
Today I went and picked up this sweetheart of a heifer. She is a 3/4 Simmental sired by Uno Mas and due to calve in September.

My daughter really likes her too. She is super gentle.

8qQzfvb.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
She looks good to me, but I'm a fan Uno Mas. I take it she going to be a show cow with all that condition?

You say "condition" like it's a four letter word.

Only traders buy skinny cows, condition on a cow cost money. With all that grass in the picture she'll have no problem holding condition.

True Grit Farms said:
She looks good to me, but I'm a fan Uno Mas. I take it she going to be a show cow with all that condition?

I think Uno Mas makes some nice heifers. You have a few that can be hard headed. His docility EPD is low and it shows in some of his calves.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

I think Uno Mas makes some nice heifers. You have a few that can be hard headed. His docility EPD is low and it shows in some of his calves.

Yep, I see that trait in this heifer. Propaganda, out with the old, in with the new.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

Yep, I see that trait in this heifer. Propaganda, out with the old, in with the new.

Uno Mas is not going out. Between Fire Sweep and I, we have had enough to form an anecdotal opinion. Out of about 10, 3 were high strung, nervous or shy. This one is fine.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:

Uno Mas is not going out. Between Fire Sweep and I, we have had enough to form an anecdotal opinion. Out of about 10, 3 were high strung, nervous or shy. This one is fine.

Fair enough, I'd imagine some cows don't want to be hugged and kissed all the time.

True Grit Farms said:

Do you really think she is carrying too much condition? To me a heifer needs a little meat on her bones before having her first calf.

kentuckyguy said:
True Grit Farms said:

Do you really think she is carrying too much condition? To me a heifer needs a little meat on her bones before having her first calf.

I supplement my heifers after they calve. She's well conditioned, but y'all have some excellent forage and your cows carry a lot more condition there. I like her, she just looks a little puffy to me instead of muscular.

True Grit Farms said:
kentuckyguy said:
True Grit Farms said:

I supplement my heifers after they calve. She's well conditioned, but y'all have some excellent forage and your cows carry a lot more condition there. I like her, she just looks a little puffy to me instead of muscular.

Kentuckyguy is not far from here. They have good forage in his country. She will not lose condition this summer. Winters are a different story.

Davemk said:
kentuckyguy said:
True Grit Farms said:

Nope.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way

kentuckyguy said:
Davemk said:
kentuckyguy said:

Nope.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way

Don't use feedback from Cattle Today to form or confirm your evaluation of livestock. You have no knowledge of their motives. Trust yourself and those in the business you have formed a trusting relationship with. This is not a slap at CT. You will get mostly reliable feedback here but don't use it for decision making.

Thought I would update this. The heifer is doing great and should have her calf in about a month.

uNXnQOn.jpg

zFy29z5.jpg

I have to thank Bright Raven for selling her to me. She has been a pleasure to have in the field.

She is due to Shell Shocked on September 3. And she is really showing it. Calves from my place seem to come big but Shell Shocked is calving ease deluxe. It should go smooth, I sure hope so.

It is a pleasure to me when someone enjoys my cattle. It is also comforting when they go to a great home. And your's is one of the best, my very good friend.

Latest posts