Picked up a new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy said:
Thought I would update this. The heifer is doing great and should have her calf in about a month.

uNXnQOn.jpg

zFy29z5.jpg

I have to thank Bright Raven for selling her to me. She has been a pleasure to have in the field.

This is the same heifer,in the original pic?

ALACOWMAN said:
kentuckyguy said:
Thought I would update this. The heifer is doing great and should have her calf in about a month.

uNXnQOn.jpg

zFy29z5.jpg

I have to thank Bright Raven for selling her to me. She has been a pleasure to have in the field.

This is the same heifer,in the original pic?

I think that first picture is distorted. When Kentuckyguy posted that picture shortly after he bought her, the picture of the heifer did not have the proportion she had when he picked her up off the farm. It goes to show how pictures can misrepresent the subject. In that first picture, the heifer appears bigger, more rotund, and fuller than she does in real life. At least in my opinion.

In my opinion, the two more recent pictures represent her best and I will add that she has maybe added some condition.

I'm just reading this post - missed it earlier. I like the heifer a lot. Not a fan of Uno Mas - no major reason. Saw some I didn't like and that turned me off.
But, this is really a nice heifer. Be sure to let us know what she has & post new pics of baby & mom!
And I didn't think she was fat in the first picture and definitely not now. Just right!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I'm just reading this post - missed it earlier. I like the heifer a lot. Not a fan of Uno Mas - no major reason. Saw some I didn't like and that turned me off.
But, this is really a nice heifer. Be sure to let us know what she has & post new pics of baby & mom!
And I didn't think she was fat in the first picture and definitely not now. Just right!!!

The experience I have had with Uno Mas - when you get the right match, they are good. When you get the wrong match, they are horrid. This one came out very well.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

There was a little girl, who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
And when she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

She stood on her head, on her little trundle bed,
With nobody by for to hinder;
She screamed and she squalled, she yelled and she bawled, 
And drummed her little heels against the winder.

Her mother heard the noise, and thought it was the boys
Playing in the empty attic,
She rushed upstairs, and caught her unawares,
And spanked her, most emphatic.

when you get the right match, they are good. When you get the wrong match, they are horrid.
Longfellow quotes aside, I've always subscribed to the philosphy that the mark of superior breeding stock is their ability to consistently produce exceptional progeny in spite of being mated to inferior animals. YMMV

I kinda agree with that. But, in my mind (and I think this fits true with genetics), if you breed to a bull that may pass on traits that I don't like, and the cow always will give me a good calf; then that CALF may then be the one passing on the traits that I don't like.
Right now my herd consists of cows that are out of cows I like and sired by bulls that i like, producing the offspring that I like. I hope to keep it that way, that is why I steer away from inconsistent bulls.

The only disappointment I have had with Uno Mas has been disposition, hence the poem about the little girl with the curl. If she is good, she is very good; but if she is bad, she is a knot head.

Uno Mas docility is actually good but a couple of his calves both here and at Fire Sweep have been knot heads.

hurleyjd said:
Not much dilation for a cow that is due to calve in 25 days.

She's starting to change daily. I usually don't see a lot of vulva swelling and stretching till about 2 weeks before calving. With heifers you never know.

kentuckyguy said:
hurleyjd said:
Not much dilation for a cow that is due to calve in 25 days.

She's starting to change daily. I usually don't see a lot of vulva swelling and stretching till about 2 weeks before calving. With heifers you never know.

She is due the third of September based on a 285 day gestation. That is only 20 days off. She stuck to first service of Shell Shocked. Heifers can surprise!

Yep you never know if a heifer will produce you a live calf or not, that is the nature of the game. Hope you have no troubles with the calving.

hurleyjd said:
Yep you never know if a heifer will produce you a live calf or not, that is the nature of the game. Hope you have no troubles with the calving.
Don't understand that statement. Obviously, we never know if ANYTHING (people, cows, pigs, etc) will produce a live calf, but I sure do EXPECT to get a live calf out of all my heifers and cows.
I don't have any more problems with heifers than I do with cows. 99% of assisted calvings (for me) are due to mal-presentations. If, in this day of information, you are having dystocia due to large calves regularly, I would switch out your program for something else.

I am not having any problem with the calving on my operation. One cow had a dead calf and I had to pull one really large calf that did not make it. This out of ninety head. So do not come on here and lecture me about cows. I was only trying to say do not count your calves until they are born. The biggest problem I have had in the past years was going with some simangus bulls that were supposed to be small calving. I ended up pulling about ten cows that year from them The live calves did not grow as well as I thought they would. Should have stayed with the straight red angus all of the way through. I have had success and failures in the cow business. But I can remember when I cashed a check for $100 dollar 500 lb calves. So I have been at it for a while.

I totally understand. I wasn't meaning to "lecture" to YOU, just stating a fact that so many seem to not understand.
Yes, we all have a hard calving or a dead calf, but, it shouldn't be a "normal". Just a lot of people LOOK at our posts and don't comment.

Bright Raven said:
The experience I have had with Uno Mas - when you get the right match, they are good. When you get the wrong match, they are horrid. This one came out very well.

My cow Caddy was a bit like that.. She had to be bred to the right bull to make a nice calf, and then she did really well.. In the horse world they call it "nick"... I've seen it on a few cows and cow lines now.. Some do well when they're bred to anything with hooves, others it's more specific

kentuckyguy said:
Well she had her calf today. 62lb heifer.
NWkh4lZ.jpg

E7TlHQM.jpg

Congratulations. I think we know now that Cocoa is a Red Carrier. Shell Shocked is Heterozygous Black. Cocoa was two days shy of 285. The accepted gestation for Simmentals is 285 days but mine average 283 days. Those Shell Shocked calves have some leg under them!

Cocoa looks fantastic! She is a pretty cow. You have done well with her. That is a pleasure.