pick this heifer apart

Help Support CattleToday:

tja477t

Reaction score
i know its a bad picture but was thinking about looking at her to purchase. what do you see wrong with her

i think shes priced reasonable where i live, what would she go for where you live. I was just going to breed her for terminal calves. she's definitely not perfect but i didnt see any major problems with her

How old is she in the picture? From what I can see not as much rear as I like, a little more brisket than I like although Herefords seem to have more to me. Seems to be pretty deep. A lot depends on what you want out of her.

Terrible pic to give her much of a critique. So it does bring the purchase price as a major factor ..... How much is she? She is in good condition.

thinking i can buy her for $900 and know i could turn her and make a little but think id like to get a few calves out of her. just wondering if other people thought she was small in the rear but i know the picture wouldnt do much for any cow. like to see what other people say without pointing anything out.

It may just be the picture, as she may have just done her business, I am not sure, but a cow or heifer that carries their back in an arch, is a sign of pain or discomfort. After she left the stance of the picture, did she walk with her back level? Sometimes you will hear an animal like this grinding their teeth. That is not a good sign.
But other than that, she looks to be in good health. She has a decent angle to her back leg. I can't tell about how thick she is, but you want one to have a good round belly so she can hold a lot of grass as she grazes, then she can lay around and digest it for many hours without being on the constant move trying to fill up. Often their belly won't be straight across on the bottom, but will have a bit of a bulge as it hangs down. You want her sides to stick out beyond her body a bit too. A cow with sides like a hog, slab sided, will not gain the weight they need to put a bigger profit in your pocket. The bigger bellies will weight a lot more than the small barreled one will.
A slab sided cow will pass that trait to her calf most likely.

i havent seen her in person probably gonna take a ride down. but i thought she looked like she had just finished "doing her business"

That's what it looks like, she can pee. As long as that's what she's doing and it's not a issue with her back I would jump on her for $900.

tja477t":3hurzla7 said:
i havent seen her in person probably gonna take a ride down. but i thought she looked like she had just finished "doing her business"

You're probably right, especially the way she's holding her tail. It's hard to tell how big she is from the picture, but she should be worth $900.

Rafter S":3icbamow said:
tja477t":3icbamow said:

You're probably right, especially the way she's holding her tail. It's hard to tell how big she is from the picture, but she should be worth $900.
$900 looks like a good deal.
I would ask to make sure she has not been implanted just to be sure she's suitable for breeding.

I would ask to make sure she has not been implanted just to be sure she's suitable for breeding.[/quote]
Just curious but what does that mean? Thanks in advance

Kingfisher":xlbnby5j said:
I would ask to make sure she has not been implanted just to be sure she's suitable for breeding.
Just curious but what does that mean? Thanks in advance[/quote]

Been given an implant for growth, like Ralgro for example. When heifers have been implanted it affects their fertility.

Workinonit Farm":2yt7j0uy said:
Kingfisher":2yt7j0uy said:
Just curious but what does that mean? Thanks in advance

Been given an implant for growth, like Ralgro for example. When heifers have been implanted it affects their fertility.[/quote]

Ok Thanks. What do they call it when they " spay" a heifer for growth?

Kingfisher":3c5l3svg said:
Ok Thanks. What do they call it when they " spay" a heifer for growth?

Spayed. And yes, there are folks who have their heifers spayed (seriously), it also helps prevent unwanted pregnancies and eliminate the need for 'lute' & 'dex' shots.

Alan":26142lpw said:
Tja, don't get lost in the opinions, she looks fine.
Very true, the buyer is the one that has to be satisfied. For $900 she is probably worth a shot.

For as much as I can tell in the picture, I like her, and for $900 I think it's a darned good price even for a slaughter animal if it comes down to it... I sold a 250 lb dink potbellied heifer for $650,

Latest posts