Help Support CattleToday:

sca10010

Reaction score
WPeteRosefd.jpg

Month old calves

WTonyTigerfd.jpg

Pair 3 yr old

Neat!
I ended up not getting any calves this year, been too occupied with other stuff. Next spring for sure

dun

sidney411;
They are 3yr. (young for oxen) wt. ~ 3000 pound team
Largest load so far this year 8000 pounds.

They should mature at around 6500 pound team and pull around 22,000 pounds hopfully.

I believe the young team will be bigger at 2 mo 400 pound each.

Steve

steve, that's impressive and they are some big animals.
what do you use them for? no one around here that i know of has any.

jt

Just a hobby, we pull at about 35 competition a year all over New England.

I keep around 50 head of fullblood Chianina there is a real demand for fullblood bull calves here.

I've always wanted to go to one of these competitions but I've never heard of one out on the west coast. Do the Chianinas just flat outpull the other breeds or are there other considerations? It always seemed like a shorter, yet still stocky, breed would have a better advantage.

I think the height give them lift on the load. The Chianina is not the superman to ox pulling as many believe imo. But, they have more life (snappy start) which is an advantage on heavy loads. It seems teams that are competitive have some Chianina in them. The Chianina have certainly changed ox pulling, much larger animals for the weight class (that air under them doesn't weigh much).

Ox pulling seems to be a New England thing. I've been pulling for 40 years, lot of fun, great people.

Steve

Steve,

Are you and "your boys" coming to Springfield this year ?

We just hayed the fairgrounds field last week, so we is ready for ya. :)

Sca;
Do they have these oxen pulling contest all over or just in NE area? Never been to one. Would like to see one.

dun":3l2133i3 said:
Neat!
I ended up not getting any calves this year, been too occupied with other stuff. Next spring for sure

dun

Are you going to get some Oxen dun?

CopeMan":1muihlge said:
dun":1muihlge said:
Neat!

dun

Are you going to get some Oxen dun?

Sure am! Actaully "working steers", won;t be oxen until they're mature. This year one thing and another conspired to keep me too busy to start training any calves and the only Milking Shorthorn herd around here had some pretty poor (and sickly) calves.
I only use them for skidding stuff out of the woods and pulling a stoneboat for cleaning up the rocks in the fields. Never have been in the competitive side. Oxen are a pretty rare sight in this neck of the woods but I've always gotten along better with cattle then horses or mules.

dun

Are you and "your boys" coming to Springfield this year ?

We're trying to work out the scheduling thing, we are in North Haverhill NH on Thur., Johnson Vt. on Fri., Stratham NH on Sat. so maybe.

[/quote]

Sure am! Actaully "working steers", won;t be oxen until they're mature. This year one thing and another conspired to keep me too busy to start training any calves and the only Milking Shorthorn herd around here had some pretty poor (and sickly) calves.
I only use them for skidding stuff out of the woods and pulling a stoneboat for cleaning up the rocks in the fields. Never have been in the competitive side. Oxen are a pretty rare sight in this neck of the woods but I've always gotten along better with cattle then horses or mules.

dun[/quote]

Are you going to get Chianinas? I take it this is not your first time owning and training working steers?

dun[/quote]

Are you going to get Chianinas? I take it this is not your first time owning and training working steers?[/quote]

No offense meant but I wouldn;t have a Chi on a bet. Since I use them for practicle woods work I prefer something a lot smaller. I had planned on getting a couple of Milking Shorthorns this year but that didn;t work out. There's a dairy near by that has some Guernseys that have a none typical Guernsey looking head and I've been thinking of looking over his calves in the spring. I'ld really prefer Milking Shorthorns but Holsteins are the common breed around here so that's what I've used in the past. I'ld really like a yoke of Devons but there aren;t any in this neck of the woods.

dun

Latest posts