Photos from Albury show

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Went to Albury show this weekend, did really well. The chocolate heifer won junior and grand champion in the All Breeds Heifer show run on friday night for the young kids. She then won champion british breeds female, champion interbreed female and supreme exhibit of show. The 9.m.o heifer won her class and the 13.m.o was second in hers. The bulls were in separate classes for the first time and both won their class, with the melb reserve champ bull being champion british breed bull but narrowly missing the overall interbreed bull. We also won the breeders group of three and the most successful exhibitor.

I think at one point or another I have posted most of the animals from this years show team. Here are some photos I took around the show that you might be interested in.

One of the school steers - anyone care to guess the cross?
Albury_2006_031.jpg

Champion led and unled steer (hoof) - a schools led steer competition was held in conjunction with the heifer show, and a hoof n hook held on saturday which was open to everyone. The funny thing was, to be eligible for the hook part, the steers had to be judged in pens on the hoof. So all the schools led their steers on friday night then put them in the pens for unled judging. This steer was from Yanco Ag High School.
Albury_2006_032.jpg

Reserve champion steer
Albury_2006_039.jpg

Black Hereford steer?
Albury_2006_038.jpg

Our bull - being a bull!
Albury_2006_061.jpg

Great Photo's Keren.

That first steer wouldn't be a Hereford x Santa would he??

I've seen another steer like him that was Hereford x Santa.

I love the photo of the bull, definately being a bull!

A Droughtmaster is an Australian developed breed along with the Belmont (used to be called Belmont Red)
The Belmontwas bred at the Belmont Research station near Rockhampton in Queensland they are a mix of Africander and Shorthorn. The Droughtmaster is a mix of Shorthorn and Brahman. They look similar to the beefmaster but have a uniform colour of cherry red to a lighter tan. They are very good cattle and sell very well here in Australia I have just acquired a small herd of them from my late father. The Belmonts are similar to the South African Bonsmara. They are supposedly a Sanga type breed. I have a couple of South Devon Belmont females they look just like a Santa Gertrudis without the navel and longish ears.Both the Droughties and the Belmonts are good animals to cross with as are a lot of tropical type breeds.Look up the Australian Droughmaster Breeders site to get more info as well the the Belmont Association will give you info.
Colin

For those who may be wondering, the steer was Brahman X Hereford. I reckoned he was santa x hereford. Sorry I took so long to reply, I'm living in my own little world of exams at the moment. I'm beginning to track the days by 'Micro day', 'Soils day' etc rather than Monday, Tuesday.

Only five more sleeps till the holidays :D

Keren":wbw5hbmk said:
I'm living in my own little world of exams at the moment. I'm beginning to track the days by 'Micro day', 'Soils day' etc rather than Monday, Tuesday.

Only five more sleeps till the holidays :D
I can relate to you on this one. :lol:

Jay

I too can relate Keren... 3 exams in the last 3 days, last one tomorrow- yay!!
Quite disappointed I can't be home today, new cow and calf are arriving :D