Pharo Cattle Company AI Bulls ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have any of you looked at the Bradley 3 Ranch bulls? I really like their program for moderation and high $EN. Their donor cow program is the most rigorous I have seen. I haven't ever used their bulls, but I plan on using them in the future on my replacement herd. Their calves are definitely not dinks.

You can have moderate made cows that are still heavy in weight. I for one don't want 1000 lbs cows and I don't want big tall ones either. If I have 1000 lbs cows, then my cows are either hard doing, frail made, not long enough, not deep enough, or don't have enough muscle. I want a cow that will have lots of body, depth of rib, long made, and always in good condition. If they stay in good shape naturally then they don't take much feed as they are just like a chubby person. Lots of chubby moms don't eat more than others, in fact most are dieting, its just how they are. These type of cows will raise the kind of calf needed for the feeder as well.

Isomade":uboscs9d said:
KNERSIE":uboscs9d said:
I like OCC Prototype.
Better than Paxon? Phenotype or EPD wise? I do like his DOC much better.

They're very similar in type and kind, but prefer the longer softer muscle of Prototype.

BRG":2o3jwvbo said:
You can have moderate made cows that are still heavy in weight. I for one don't want 1000 lbs cows and I don't want big tall ones either. If I have 1000 lbs cows, then my cows are either hard doing, frail made, not long enough, not deep enough, or don't have enough muscle. I want a cow that will have lots of body, depth of rib, long made, and always in good condition. If they stay in good shape naturally then they don't take much feed as they are just like a chubby person. Lots of chubby moms don't eat more than others, in fact most are dieting, its just how they are. These type of cows will raise the kind of calf needed for the feeder as well.
BRG, I couldn't agree with you more. However, when the chubby moms start attacking you for bringing them into this your on your own. ;-) :)

Ned Jr.":2eq9uzlu said:
BRG":2eq9uzlu said:
BRG, I couldn't agree with you more. However, when the chubby moms start attacking you for bringing them into this your on your own. ;-) :)

:lol2: :help: :shock:

Prototype is a carrier of the Double Muscle trait(M1C). May account, to some degree, for his phenotype.

I like Prototype's look, have considered using him, but backed off because of his status as a double-muscle carrier - but not sure I've ruled him out totally as a potential terminal sire.
I'm not a geneticist, but seems like I've seen something, somewhere about heterozygotes for DM having greater muscle expression, so it might be that calves that inherit one copy of the DM gene have some increased muscling above their sibs that didn't inherit that gene.

Lucky_P":1cfn4w2z said:
I'm not a geneticist, but seems like I've seen something, somewhere about heterozygotes for DM having greater muscle expression, so it might be that calves that inherit one copy of the DM gene have some increased muscling above their sibs that didn't inherit that gene.

A correct observation.

BRG":1ye92c92 said:
If they stay in good shape naturally then they don't take much feed as they are just like a chubby person. Lots of chubby moms don't eat more than others, in fact most are dieting, its just how they are. These type of cows will raise the kind of calf needed for the feeder as well.

But this is only a single trait - - what about docility?

Thats where culling comes in. If you have something a bit goofy, then get rid of her. Also, don't use a bull that is high strung. It isn't single trait selection if you pay attention to all the details.

I have used the MH Magua and Johnny B Good from PCC. I was happy with both sets of calves. The Johnny calves were much more consistent in type and frame. At this point I like them better, but don't have any milking daughters. I will go back to him next year if the daughters start out well. I certainly didn't have any weaning weight issues. Most of the Magua bull calves had AWW near/over 700 lbs; born in early May weaned end of November; grass and milk only. The Johnny calves were more in the 625-675 range, but different year and different cows. The Johnny calves are definitely smaller up to this point (16 months) than the Maguas were. The Magua calves seemed to grow longer and shut down later than the Johnny calves, but the Magua daughters are not big (now 3.5 yrs old).

I also used the Pinebank 14'02 bull the same year as Magua. The Magua calves were nicer to look at and had much more performance, but again less consistent. The Pinebank calves were more plain, especially the bull calves. However as cows these Pinebank females are very very good. All calved 1st cycle as two year olds and raised keeper calves, all re-bred for the first cycle as 3 year olds and have keeper calves at side again. They are still a little plain, but there production and calves are not.

I think too many people pass on second and third hand information which itself is based on second and third hand information. My information is based on fact.

Latest posts