perpetual heat

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Have a cow that turned up open on preg checking . . . what's interesting is the attention she's getting from the bulls . . . which made me suspect she was open. The cow seemed to collect "boyfriends" amongst the bulls. One would follow her for a day . . . then another . . . then two . . . then none . . . then the first again . . . all giving early indications she was going into heat. So I separated her off with only one bull so I'd know who bred her and she never let him mount . . . and he never really tried. The bull/cow were in with a bunch of other bred cows and the bull followed the open cow around, laid by her, stood beside her (pre-mount position), but nothing. Ran them out again with the group and all the bulls continue to give her very special pre-heat attention, but still no indication of mounting, a passing of a heat, or an intensifying of a heat. For some reason she's still open - she's had plenty of time to breed back - so something's wrong.

Any thoughts?

She had a shot when I cycled her for AI, but maybe she wasn't ready for it then???? I could give her another and see if anything changes.

Do the 7 day GnRH and lute deal if she doesn;t cycle there is something else not right besides being cyctic

ga. prime":121u3u8m said:
She's infertile, but is nevertheless an object of desire among the bull set.

well, I don't see what they see in her

Latest posts