Perfect Timing (2 pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Here in Alabama, my MaxQ fescue grass has been green all winter long but has started to push new growth the last couple of weeks or so.

Last Thursday, I had the CO-OP come in and ferterlize 20 the acres. They finshed about 3pm. within 4 hours I was getting rain. It rained all night long, ended up getting 1 1/4 inches. As Caustic said in another post, "You can hear the grass growing".

Attached are a couple of pictures of the MaxQ Fescue. I will keep the Ladies off another month so I can get an early cutting of hay.

Sorry the pictures are so dark but it is very cloudy here today, expecting rain again this afternoon.

img-1331_large.jpg

img-1332_large.jpg

That looks AWESOME, here in the hillbilly we are about two weeks behind you, we hit the 70 degree mark the past couple of days so it has really greened up here also. Interseeded MaxQ, it was a big waste of money for me. Glad you are having luck with it!

Now that's nice looking N farms! Should make you some good hay. I wish all of our compadres in Texas and Oklahoma had pastures like that.

Rod, I just came in the house from blowing dirt and 60 mph wind gust. That looks like heaven too me. I have to ask, any land for sale near you? (just dreamin)

After looking at your pics, I'm "green" with envy. I'd better pull the curtains closed, if my cows saw those pics, they'd form a picket line! :shock: :shock:

cfpinz

cfpinz, My Ladies stand at the fence and look at the green grass too. I have them on a Coastal Bermuda field that is just now starting to greenup. They get plenty of Fescue hay that I cut off the MaxQ field last spring.

The horse folks have just about bought all my extra MaxQ hay. I've had a couple of the folks tell me that they purchased a bale from somebody else when I was out of town for the day. Apparently their horse would walk up to the other bale smell it and walk off. I guess they really like the MaxQ.

About a month ago, I overseeded this field with 50lbs of Durrano White Clover and 25lbs of Patriot White Clover so I am interested in seeing what this field will do in the next year or two. The clover is just starting to come up.

NOWLAND - Looks John Deere green to me. We have 18" of snow on ground along shore of Lake Superior . 3 weeks of winter and 3 weeks of mud B4 we will have grass like that! Looks like you got a great stand!

Nowland Farms, thats the good thing about our great state. our short winters helps in the grass department does'nt it? just if we could mange to do a little better on getting the rain when we need it. it drives me crazy how we can get so much in march and april and get close to none in the summer then come fall the flood warnings never go away lol. thats a good looking field of grass you got there.
i could'nt get MaxQ to come up like that. i kept having bare spots, so i'm now back on bahia and k31 fescue. i wish i could get that MaxQ though all the guys around here that got it to do good has gotten alot of weight out of it. my neighbor swears hes selling his calves close to 200lbs heaver than when he was on K31. I've heard others told about 150 lbs heavier calves.
i starting hearing guys down around taladaga talking about bahia so last year i planted some and contueing this year. i did'nt notice much last year cause i was alittle late getting to the sell cause we had one heck of a good corn harvest. so if the bahia helped i dont know. this year i'm going to make it a point to go to the sell BEFORE the corn harvest. might go right when the wheat stops.

I no-tilled 35 acres of MAX-Q oo new pasture in August and moved cows on it in October. They have kept it to around 3 inches tall for most or the winter, and suprisingly have not been pulling it up. I was sure the hay rings didn't get to empty also. Since the warmer weather has come along, the MaxQ is really taking off. I hope to gain the extra weights on calves to help offset the cost. Luckily the FSA had a good program going to help offset the cost of 80% of the initial seeding.

Buckaroo,

MaxQ it is not endophyte-free. MaxQ is endophyte-friendly, meaning it contains an endophyte that is not harmful to cows or horses.

There are strains of endophyte-free fescue but from what I have read the grass in not very hardy or drought resistant..

Nowland Farms":2dqob4bl said:
Buckaroo,

MaxQ it is not endophyte-free. MaxQ is endophyte-friendly, meaning it contains an endophyte that is not harmful to cows or horses.

There are strains of endophyte-free fescue but from what I have read the grass in not very hardy or drought resistant..

ok, and then is max-q very drought resistant?
probably wouldn't make it in the climate of oklahoma..>?

buckaroo,

Check out this for info on MaxQ http://www.fescue.com/info/maxq.html

I can only speak for my grass that is now a little over 1 1/2 years old.

Planted 10/04, in well limed & fertlized soil.
Kept cows of till 04/05
Cut hay in early 06/05
Grazed cows all summer, fall, & winter.
Last fall we did not get rain from 2nd week of Sept until 2nd week of November except for about 1" in late Sept.
Grass held up well
Took cows off in early 02/06 to allow to grow.
Fertlized 3 weeks ago
Should cut hay in late Aprl or early May.

I can only talke from my experience.

Nowland Farms":3qifvo5h said:
buckaroo,

Check out this for info on MaxQ http://www.fescue.com/info/maxq.html

I can only soeak for my grass that is now a little over 1 1/2 years old.

Planted 10/04, in well limed & fertlized soil.
Kept cows of till 04/05
Cut hay in early 06/05
Grazed cows all summer, fall, & winter.
Last fall we did not get rain from 2nd week of Sept until 2nd week of November except for about 1" in late Sept.
Grass held up well
Took cows off in early 02/06 to allow to grow.
Fertlized 3 weeks ago
Should cut hay in late Aprl or early May.

I can only talke from my experience.

thanks Rod
The grass looks great! good job!
I guess you are talking about this> MAXQ- Jesup Variety Tall Fescue

How heavily can you graze it in the condition it is in now?
It looks expensive to plant by the price of the seed.
They are recommending planting 20 - 25 lbs. per acre.

Latest posts