percent calf crop

Help Support CattleToday:

bluedog

Reaction score
how many ranches or farms average 85 percent calf crop? THEY TELL ME THAT IS PRODUCTION EXPENSE BREAK EVEN.

Very rarely do we have less then 100%. We cull all opens and slow breeders at preg check time. Had a cow abort 4-5 years ago that was the first less then 100% year we've had in a long time.

That is % of calves weaned based on how many cows were exposed to the bulls, so it would include your % opens. So, if you have 100 cows with the bulls in May, lost 5 calves for whatever reason, and had 10 opens then would have live calf crop of 85%.

bluedog":1e87cai0 said:
how many ranches or farms average 85 percent calf crop? THEY TELL ME THAT IS PRODUCTION EXPENSE BREAK EVEN.
Who are THEY?
And why would "THEY" use such an ambiguous statement of 85% calf crop, if THEY mean % per cow exposed?
Pounds Weaned Per Cow Exposed is the meaningful standard measurement, not % weaned per cow exposed.
After all you sell pounds not percentages. I hope the following numbers help provide an answer to what you are seeking.

The 5 year rolling AVERAGE of North Dakota ranchers using the Cow Herd Appraisal Performance Software program.

average herd size 219 cows
average age 5.7
calving percentage 92.9%
weaning percentage 90.6%
average weaning age 190 days
average weaning weight 565 lbs
Pounds Weaned Per Cow Exposed 504 lbs
replacement percentage 15.4%
culling percentage 13.9%

Your question got me thinking. I keep good records, but had never done the calculations. I decided to see what my actual statistics were, so I went back and looked at the last 530 cows that were put out with bulls. According to my records 36 of them came up open and almost all of those were culled and sold. The 494 cows that settled would be 93.2% of cows bred. Some of those were sold before calving for various reasons such as age, soundness, or disposition. 477 calves were born to the cows kept, including at least 8 sets of twins that I knew about. 5 of those twins were lost at birth due to calving difficulties. I did not witness any of the twin births. In addition 6 other calves died at birth. 2 due to malpresentation, 1 was deformed and euthanized, 2 unknown causes, and one was a very large calf that I pulled out of a heifer. 4 calves died of various causes after birth, all in the first 30 days. If I leave out the twins 10 out of 477 or 2% were lost after birth.

I forgot that 9 cows aborted prior to the 477 who went on to calf. Those were all late term abortions. Some of the 36 cows I called open may have actually also aborted early in gestation. So I guess it might be 494 less 9 or 485 out of 530 that went on to calve, so only 91.5% of those went full term. I was having issues with Pine needle abortion at one time, but I think I have that issue resolved.

I think my conception percentage in the last 5 years is around 95% or better..
I have lost a couple calves at birth, but pretty much had the same number of viable twins that make up for it.
0 losses from birth to weaning, but a couple close calls.
On a herd of 25 cows I keep about 3 replacements a year, and that's been growing the herd.
I haven't been doing much culling (this year that's changing).. I lost 1 young cow to heat stroke in 3 years ago, the following spring I had middle-aged one have a real stroke, and the following fall I put her sister down for arthritis and old age.. she had 16 trouble free calves.

The 5 previous years were not as nice.. for one thing we had about 18 cows instead of 27...
we lost one cow right after she had twins, her sister aborted a set of twins 2 years in a row, and we had more open cows too.

dun":3ghujs4x said:
Very rarely do we have less then 100%. We cull all opens and slow breeders at preg check time. Had a cow abort 4-5 years ago that was the first less then 100% year we've had in a long time.

It is mostly about the culling.
If you cull hard and calve on grass - - you should be 97 to 100%.
If you buy sales barn heifers and calve in mud -- you may be 75 to 85%.

I am curious how long others that responded left the bulls in with the cows, or if they A.I., how many attempts are made?

I leave the bulls in 60 days. I will A.I. most of the heifers and a small selection of what I consider superior cows one time and then let the bulls do cleanup. Last year was a phenomenal year, and all calves were born within 42 days of the scheduled start of calving season. Most years I have a very high percentage born in the first 30 days and then stragglers over the next 30 days. One year I had 90% calve in the first 30 days and then went almost 30 days without a calf. I then had 3 calves born within hours of each other and the remaining calves were born over the next few days. That was kind of weird, and I have not figured out what was going on there. The next year all of the late cows moved up to within the first 30 days, but within the next year or two all but one have come up open and been culled. I think selling all cows that do not calve within the first 30 days might be a good way to improve your fertility. I would need to keep more heifers to do that however. I have only been keeping enough to replace about 10% of the cows, so I have been letting some cows stay that might be better culled a bit sooner. I think I may push that up to 15% and get rid of anyone that calves more than once in the latter half of 60 days.

I think everyone has their "seedstock" cattle, and the others that are there to raise calves. I'd say I only consider replacements from about 30-40% of my cows, the rest, as long as they don't give me too much trouble and I have the feed, get the privilege of giving me a beef calf and eating grass. I've kept some cows much longer than what may people here would.. just because I had the grass and I figured they'd last another year or two before their prolapses would be too bad.. yes, I risk having them fall over dead, but on the other hand if they give me a $1500 calf for keeping just a little longer, I think it's a good idea. I'm just crossing my fingers that the bottom doesn't fall out of the butcher cow market in the next year.

Nesikep, I also have cows that I would like to keep heifers from. But sometimes their calves aren't good enough. I have a cow that we've kept 2 heifers from so far. And this year she had another heifer and it's going to the sale. Same bull and all just not a keeper this year.

Somebody once opined that if you're getting >95% calf crop...you're probably spending too much on feed.

But, he might be the same fella that said, "If you never pull a calf, you'll never have to."

we run pretty much 100% cows calving.if a cow misses a year calving then she is looked tobe culled.then she gets a free ride to the sale.we might loose 3 or 4 calves for some reason.

I lost one in the spring. A heifer calved. I was not there. Don't know why. Calf was dead. I can only postulate.

That was the first one I had lost in 18 months. That was a pretty good run.

I am generally always above 95%. Like my calves to weigh 70 lbs. 80 scares me.

7 other places with cattle adjoin me. Occasionally I get neighbors Bulls. We have Mexican buzzards attacking calves. I am told they are actually vultures.

85% would not be acceptable. I am small potatoes. That cuts in to the profit margin too deep.

Don't be afraid of 80 pound calves. Up North we are used to much bigger calves. I believe it is due to the cold temperatures during late gestation. My average BW is slightly above 90 pounds on cows and about 7 or 8 pounds less on the heifers. I have only assisted one heifer out of the last 50 heifers giving birth. Actually I found her with the dead calf stuck at the hips. She had tried to calve at night, and the calf was perhaps close to 100 pounds. I did not start weighing calves out of unregistered cows until about 2007, so I can't be sure, but I remember thinking it was huge. I do try to watch the heifers pretty close, but I have not had to assist any other heifers during that period. I have had to assist a few cows with twins or calves coming backwards or with a leg or head out of position. I calve many more cows than heifers of course, so the odds are I will see a few problems. Prior to 2003 we were using non Angus bulls, and I did pull quite a few calves out of both heifers and cows.

I probably just jinxed myself by mentioning my lack of calving issues with heifers. I will probably end up pulling some this year.

backhoeboogie":3qwh41f4 said:
I lost one in the spring. A heifer calved. I was not there. Don't know why. Calf was dead. I can only postulate.

That was the first one I had lost in 18 months. That was a pretty good run.

I am generally always above 95%. Like my calves to weigh 70 lbs. 80 scares me.

7 other places with cattle adjoin me. Occasionally I get neighbors Bulls. We have Mexican buzzards attacking calves. I am told they are actually vultures.

85% would not be acceptable. I am small potatoes. That cuts in to the profit margin too deep.

That is about where I like my BW backhoe. Ours only get checked once after dark during calving season, a lighter calf gives a little more margin of error when they are on their own.

I believe that 7% of cow weight is considered about right. My cows average about 1300 pounds and 5 frame score, so my 90 pound BW is about right for them. I assume that those of you that want 70 pound calves have smaller cows that are closer to 1000 pounds?

Latest posts