Peppers & Oil Recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

rla442

Reaction score
Anyone with thoughts on a peppers and oil recipe. I've done the google search, read were its iffy and not safe for there's a chance of botulism. I've ate tons of peppers and oil that folks have canned but I've never made my own. This year my peppers are way ahead of my tomatoes in the garden and I have to do something with all these peppers and would like to do some up as peppers and oil. They are banana, wax and some salsa peppers. I usually grind them and add them to the tomatoes for salsa but I've got another few weeks before I have tomatoes.

Good question. I know what you are talking about and love the stuff but I too have been afraid to make it myself for the same reasons. They sell it here in the stores so there has to be a safe way to make it. Possibly pressure canning?

Colorado state has a recipe which calls for 5 cups vinegar, 1 cup water and 3/4's cup olive oil. This is supposed to be safe but it sounds more like pickled peppers to me and I don't think that's what you are after.

I have one last jar on the shelf and it was made the old way. Peppers and oil were simmered for about 20-30 minutes then put in jars and sealed. Ironically, I don't have a problem eating this I just have fears of making it this way.

Jogeephus":i3hi3lxx said:
Good question. I know what you are talking about and love the stuff but I too have been afraid to make it myself for the same reasons. They sell it here in the stores so there has to be a safe way to make it. Possibly pressure canning?

Colorado state has a recipe which calls for 5 cups vinegar, 1 cup water and 3/4's cup olive oil. This is supposed to be safe but it sounds more like pickled peppers to me and I don't think that's what you are after.

I have one last jar on the shelf and it was made the old way. Peppers and oil were simmered for about 20-30 minutes then put in jars and sealed. Ironically, I don't have a problem eating this I just have fears of making it this way.

Exactly, and I don't want the pickled vinegar flavor. I want to make the peppers and oil like I've had so many times before but I'm afraid to make.

Jogeephus":1r3vywnx said:
Do you think pressure canning would harm the texture much?

Yes, very much. I've pressure canned peppers before and they come out soft and mushy.

Soft is the only way I've eaten the peppers and olive oil but they still had integrity of form. Can you give me an idea of the process you are working with and then I might be able to offer some thoughts.

How I've seen it done is the peppers are roasted on a fire. Skinned and cleaned. Then put in a pot and reduced some then olive oil is added and then simmered for 20-30 minutes then placed in jars. Ends up looking something like a relish. Very thick, tasty and oily.

We jarred a bushel of roasted peppers this weekend. We buy Anaheim peppers that have been roasted and then finish peeling an seeding them.We then place in skillets for at least 1/2 an hour or more with a combination of corn and olive oils. After they are cooked to the point where the oil is clear and no longer cloudy we jar them and then pressure can them for 17minutes at 15lbs. They are great as a condiment with almost anything and we save any leftover oil for seasoning