Crappie recipe ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I normally don't keep fish, but I had one swallow the hook and wasn't going to make it so I caught a few more to eat.
I filleted them out and put them in water in the fridge till lunch time.
I seasoned them and cooked them in a little avocado oil.
I don't eat anything deep fried.
The flavor was good but the texture was mushy.
Should I dry them out first, salt them, cook longer, not use oil and just spray the skillet with cooking spray ?
Anything to firm them up

You may not have left them on long enough. I test mine with a fork and when the meat flakes is when it's done. Underdone is when it's mushy.

slick4591 said:
You may not have left them on long enough. I test mine with a fork and when the meat flakes is when it's done. Underdone is when it's mushy.

It was flaky and falling apart.
I had to use a spatula to get them out.
I think I need to dry them out and not let them soak in water.
I'm not sure though.
We grill catfish for fish tacos a lot and it's way firmer.
Maybe try grilling them

I like to soak them in a bowl of salt water in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking. I still deep fry in peanut oil, but have eaten some that were pan fried in just a tablespoon of olive oil. They were just as good. Just not practical if you're cooking for more than a couple of people. Like others said, I think you were fine, just probably didn't cook them quite long enough.

JMJ Farms said:
I like to soak them in a bowl of salt water in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking. I still deep fry in peanut oil, but have eaten some that were pan fried in just a tablespoon of olive oil. They were just as good. Just not practical if you're cooking for more than a couple of people. Like others said, I think you were fine, just probably didn't cook them quite long enough.

I thought about salting them.
I may have not got them dry enough before cooking and may not of got my skillet hot enough to cook them completely.
I don't like cooking fish in the house so I used a cast iron skillet on the grill.
I'll use an electric skillet out side next time.

It was really windy and cold yesterday but on my way back from checking cows I stopped at the dock for a minute.
I caught 10 crappie out of 14 or 15 cast.
It was too cold out to clean fish so I threw them back.
When it warms up I'm going to try grilling them like we do spicy grilled catfish

A hot pan is always the best. If you have to heat the pan and the fish at the same time, you will have fish that are steamed. A drop of water should ''dance'' in the pan before the fish are put in. They will cook quickly if there is not a lot of batter on them.

Latest posts