Pen Rider Feedyard Jobs

Help Support CattleToday:

bullman315

Reaction score
I have always wanted to work at a feedyard and would love some tips on getting a job at one. I would prefer to go to the Texas panhandle, Hereford mainly, but would go anywhere in the US. I have worked salebarns in Louisiana for 4 years and have some experience riding horses and in spotting and doctoring cattle. I was wanting some tips on finding a job and what kind of qualifications the feedyards would look for. Would I have to bring my horses or would they profide them. Thanks in advance.

Right now with the labor shortage, the only qualifications you need in Alberta is to be breathing. Bring your horses, they go on the payroll as well.

ok, I'll try. I sent a request for a list of some of the feedlots in Alberta. It usually comes out in Alberta Beef Magazine in August but I can't find mine... must have thrown it away. If I get it, I will send it to you.

My brother is a pen rider in a feedlot in Bovina, TX, owned by Cargill.
I'll relay some of his experiences:

The hours are long - on loading days they get there around 3:00 am and starting loading trucks. They need about 600 head to the packer before 6:00 am first shift.

The environment is dusty, and sometimes you can't see 5 feet in front of you when trailing cattle. Goggles are a must, or the dirt, dust, and manure will ruin your eyes.

When it rains, the pens can get like ice (manure + water = slick). His horse has went down a few times, but luckily he hasn't been hurt bad, just bruised up a little.

When your moving the finished cattle (1300 - 1400 lbs), a big horse helps; otherwise, they'll probably push, kick and throw you around. Don't ride ol 'Tiny' on loading day! ;-)

Horses:
I believe the feedlot will furnish horses to ride, but if you bring your own, you are alloted so much a month for the horse and they provide feed, board. You can only keep 2-3 on hand. Many pen riders take in outside horses for other people as a source of extra income. Always fun to get a bucking, crazy horse to ride pens with when Miss Betty Lou told you up front "He's really a good horse, he just needs some miles on him". :roll:
The feedlot however, will sure put some work on a horse. After opening 100's of gates, trailing cattle, and tracking through mud all day, many will tend to get a little cranky. So be ready to get slammed into the fence a few times here and there because your horse has had enough and is ready to call it a day.

Oh, and don't forget about those Texas panhandle winters- it can get mighty cold and windy, and there ain't no trees to hide behind.

All in all, I guess it ain't too bad a job. ;-)

bullman315":1l9lly85 said:
I was wanting some tips on finding a job and what kind of qualifications the feedyards would look for. Would I have to bring my horses or would they profide them. Thanks in advance.

If you can get your hands on a Western Livestock Journal, they always have ads for pen riders in them. The same is probably true for other livestock publications. Might want to hit your local newstand and browse a few. Most of the feedlots in my area require you bring your own horses, but that might not be true for other places. Be aware that, if you have to bring your own horses, shoes would be required and be ready for the very real possibility of saddle sores/girth galls due to the nature of the business and the level terrain. Depending on the set-up, it tends to be hard on horses and they can become bored and temperamental rather quickly.

Thanks TXBobcat for the interesting read. I know that the hours are long and the work is hard but I would like to try it anyway. Thanks for the link Texas PaPaw it helped alot. I am going to try to find a copy of the Western Livestock Journal. Thank you all you have been very helpful.

Thanks for the email Bward, very helpful.I have heard that pen riders make about $500 a week but don't know how true it is. Doesn't seem like much for the amount of work but I guess it could be worse. Any other opinions are welcome.

Beef Northwest in Boardman, OR is looking. I have worked in WA at a feedlot while I finished up last year and half of college. Yes the hours could be long, but I was also going to school full time as well (worked nights and weekends). I thought the pay was good. Not great per hour, but they did pay by the hour. Do not do this kind of work on salary. I could work 40-60 hours, still go to school and I was putting money in the bank. Not a bad deal at all. The worst thing was dealing with horses, but that is my own personal problem. I am sure horses hate dealing with me. The only other problem I had was some of the other hands were real pieces of work. They thought that they were 'real' cowboys. They didn't know what to think of me, as I didn't wear a cowboy hat, didn't rodeo, and only wore my boots and spurs at work. They thought I was a city slicker (now I know I was the only one of the hands who owned any cattle at all), but that is beside the point. Interesting group anyway. Have fun.

There used to be a huge demand for people wanting to get their horses "seasoned" at the sale/stockyard. This can be just as lucrative as your salary.

only wore my boots and spurs at work

Wearing your spurs anywhere other than when riding is considered a breach of Cowboy etiquette. Never wear them indoors.

There is alot of Penrider jobs in Kansas and Nebraska right now. I thought about working as a penrider when i was younger but I prefer alittle more space. I think you could really do some good for your horses though.

Beef11":2ojwe504 said:
only wore my boots and spurs at work

Wearing your spurs anywhere other than when riding is considered a breach of Cowboy etiquette. Never wear them indoors.

I've never heard that one before! What if you ride up to the house to get something? Do you have to take your spurs off, run in the house, come back out and put them on again?

I've never heard that one before! What if you ride up to the house to get something? Do you have to take your spurs off, run in the house, come back out and put them on again?

Yes. I would personally take my boots as that is quicker the wife appreciates it.

Beef NW in Quincy, Wa. is looking for a cowboy(s). The pay is good, the hours reasonable, co-workers and management are excellent! Must provide own tack and horses. Send a resume, cover letter, etc. to the address shown on their web site: http://www.beefnw.com

Latest posts