Baleage for the Weaning Pen ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Dry bales average about 1,700 lbs, silage bales all over the map depending on moisture. 2000 lbs is common. But some of my silage bales are actually about 2 percentage points off of being hay. Some will about lift the back tractor wheels off the ground when you pick them up with the loader.
Thanks. I've yet to weigh a wet bale, but the 5x4's will make the front end of a tractor stand up if it doesn't have a loader on it when using the wrapper. I've got one of those old 3pt deals similar to an Ag Wrap, right smart of a pain sometimes.

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Not to debate silage, haylage or dry hay all I know is anytime you put iron and oil between the sun and the ground it is going to cost money.
I realize it's off subject but for myself I prefer more cattle in less space moved more often over a longer period of time.
Some places have other areas to save costs. I know the difference between diesel and plastic far outweighs the non benefits of black and moldy hay or cows standing on grass with 2 feet of crusted snow covering it up. We don’t have a 4 to 6 month window to make 2 to 4 crops of hay. We have a 4 week window to make good feed and another 5 weeks to make turd pushing material. Rather a little plastic than paying a trucker to burn diesel and haul feed in.

gcreekrch

Reaction score
I used your number of 1/15.

Another interesting anomaly with feeding baleage I have found is that a baleage bale feeds almost as many cows as a dry feed bale. I know that goes against conventional wisdom but that's been our experience over the years.
Our bales are roughly 1700 lbs. Without any supplements, it takes 35 lbs a day of our feed to maintain a cow to calving, more after. If we use the pie are round formula this would tell me we have roughly 1200 lbs dry matter in a silage bale. We calculate 35 cows to a silage bale and 48 to a hay bale without making the cows tell us we are underfeeding them.
In -40 and colder weather we have had our little cows clean up 45 lbs of hay.
The last years we have been supplementing with 5 to 8 lbs of screenings pellets. Finding the pulse crop screenings from one mill are worth paying a premium for as 5 lbs of them on warmer days will take the place of 8 lbs of hay at a similar cost per lb.

Latest posts