Pelvic measurements

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Had 21 yearlings measured on Friday. All but 3 scored 160+. Of the three, 2 both measured at 154 and one was at 147. I'm planning on breeding these in mid-May. Would you take a chance on the 3? The vet thought that they would be fine, as these were probably a month or so younger than the others..

How much younger then 12 months are they? If they are 11 months or older I would ship them. 9-10 months I might take a chance.

A couple years ago, I had 3 late May heifers that I had measured along with the older ones, 1 didn't measure 160, I don't remember exactly the number but it wasn't too far below. The vet recommended selling her. I asked if her the age would be a factor and if I kept her and bred her later if she would be alright, he still thought I should sell. For me personally, most of my heifers are sold as breds, and I don't want to take chances on any potential problems for my customers.

dun":gvajyeke said:
How much younger then 12 months are they? If they are 11 months or older I would ship them. 9-10 months I might take a chance.
They were prob born in mid April. So they're right at 11 mos

Lazy M":2g2t5yn8 said:
dun":2g2t5yn8 said:
They were prob born in mid April. So they're right at 11 mos
I would ship them as feeders.

I wouldn't see the problem with THEM, so much as the influence they'll have on the herd in the future should you keep replacements from them (you know it gets tempting).

It always surprises me how they score. 2 of the 3 are actually some of the biggest framed ones in the group, and the smallest framed one scored the group high at 280! Vet said that I could breed a hippo to that one and sleep all night.

20160307_172738_zpsptcaj36z.jpg

Pic of the girls with my favorite in front. She measured in at 200.
BTW: We're all tired of the mud.