Heifers pelvic measurements

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Had sone cows preg checked and heifers pelvic measured yesterday.
These heifers were out of low BW bulls one of which was on the extreme end of that with 50-60 lb calves from both heifers and cows.
I fed this group less grain overwinter than ever before. They have stayed in good shape but aren't as big as the ones I used to sell as breds because I fed those more to grow them out more.
They were born late January-early March 2022.
The smallest measured 150 cm
Vet recommended to cull her.
All other calves were between 165-192 cm.

My heifers are measured at 11 months and 150 is my minimum but I've made exceptions. With a pelvic measurement of 150, she should (theoretically) have a 70-75 lb. calf unassisted. But that's assuming you're using a calving ease bull and the heifer is in good condition (not fat!) when she calves around 24 months.

My heifers are measured at 11 months and 150 is my minimum but I've made exceptions. With a pelvic measurement of 150, she should (theoretically) have a 70-75 lb. calf unassisted. But that's assuming you're using a calving ease bull and the heifer is in good condition (not fat!) when she calves around 24 months.
We used to have a minimum of 150 for the heifer sale requirement, then they changed it to 160.
These heifers are older they average around 14 months, which in theory they should have bigger measurements. We use calving ease bulls for heifers.

We used to have a minimum of 150 for the heifer sale requirement, then they changed it to 160.
These heifers are older they average around 14 months, which in theory they should have bigger measurements. We use calving ease bulls for heifers.
Yup, did the math so included 11 months in my original post. I turn mine out with a bull at 15 months. Is that your plan?

Yup, did the math so included 11 months in my original post. I turn mine out with a bull at 15 months. Is that your plan?
Yes 15 months has always been my preferred plan. This year it will work out perfectly that way. Some years may have some younger, I don't mind 14 at all if they are big enough. On rare occasions I've pushed it with 12-13 months and been ok with Angus and Hereford heifers bred to Angus bulls. but wouldn't really want to chance very many that young. Back when I Charolais anything under a solid 14 months of age was asking for trouble, so I stayed at 15 months regardless on them.

140sqcm at 13mos is the standard. I measure mine at 10/11mos and use that 140sqcm cut off.
Most of my mature cows are 1,350-1,450lbs so I don't expect huge measurements. Calving ease angus bulls on hfrs. I rarely have trouble