Pelvic measurements

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
Do any of you measure the pelvis for your heifer retention program and if so, how involved is it? Do you do it or do you have a vet come and do it? We have never done it but are thinking about it and honestly don't know enough.

hornedfrogbbq said:
Do any of you measure the pelvis for your heifer retention program and if so, how involved is it? Do you do it or do you have a vet come and do it? We have never done it but are thinking about it and honestly don't know enough.

I have all my heifers pelvic scored at 12 months of age. It is very simple. The vet uses a caliper ( Pelvimeter) which is inserted into the rectum. Takes 2 measurements of the birth canal in centimeters. Height and width. You take the product of the two measurements to arrive at a score in square cm. You could do it yourself but I also have a reproductive score performed that evaluates the maturity of the ovaries, uterus and any issues with the cervix or vagina.

Yes measure all that we are keeping. Likely being doing some in next couple weeks. I bought the tool my wife measures them.

Just had mine measured in Feb. Trip charge was $30, measurements $5 per heifer, $3.50 per for Express 5 VLF (mod live), $4.20 per for BANGS. Didn't keep any that scored less than 150 at 11 months. I believe most people have them measured at 12 months & if they're registered again at 18 months.

Latest posts