Pelleted, treated feeds may boost digestion in growing cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":240jmmqu said:
bball":240jmmqu said:
CaO is necessary when feeding DDGs to balance the Ca to P ratio (since DDG has concentrated P levels) if not using CaO in ration, then you run the risk of pesky problems like urinary/renal calculi, increase risk for milk fever after calving, etc. Would like to see how this study attributes higher digestibility to CaO specifically. What's the science behind it?

It doesn't happen. Pelletizing may increas the rate of digestion since everything has a very small particle size but it doesn't nothing to increase digestion. And the risk of milk fever in beef cattle is very slim even when feeding DDG or CGF. Milk fever is actually caused by an overly high concentration of calcium in the blood prepartum, then the sudden release of all that calcium from the blood into milk production at the time of birth resulting in hypocalcaemia.

:tiphat: Thanks for an excellent explanation TB. Is that the only pathophysiology of milk fever? Hyper to hypo? O4 can a cow already be hypocalcemic, calve, let milk down and thereby have even lower calcium level (hypocalcemia)?.

Bball,
If you go to the link I provided you will see a section named " white paper" for more information. Click on it.

Inyati,
Here's my final word on that issue.
Those who wrote and signed the "notify your congressmen campaign" request had more alphabet soup behind their names then you can dream of.
And it's very obvious that the information contained in it was creditable or there would not have been a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed that has lead to all these new regulations, which includes the CDC.
So do with it what you will, but that's a fact that needs no further proving.

LLC stated:

And I hope the USDA/FSIA/CDC comes through and use aggressive action to enforce these new regulations.

CDC is not an enforcement agency. Their mission is protecting human health. They act on a consulting basis with EPA and other agencies. We often called on CDC toxicologist to assist in enforcement actions. They provide testimony on the toxicity of elements and subtances.

You mean FSIS NOT FSIA.

LCCattle":3r26jhtp said:
Inyati,
Those who wrote and signed the "notify your congressmen campaign" request had more alphabet soup behind their names then you can dream of.
And it's very obvious that the information contained in it was creditable or there would not have been a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed that has lead to all these new regulations, which includes the CDC.

CDC certainly may be a signatory to the MOU. They are not a regulatory agency so you are incorrect that the MOU would result in CDC regulations. The only regulations they have are enabling regulations which gives them their authority to function.

Here is another fact you need to consider.

Distiller's dried grains with solubles (DDGS) are the nutrient rich co-product of dry-milled ethanol production. Its utilization as a feed ingredient is well documented as both an energy and a protein supplement. 
Combined, U.S. ethanol plants possess the capacity to produce more than 14 billion gallons of ethanol and 39 million tons of DDGS.
The Council has been instrumental in educating the global market on the nutritional benefit of DDGS. DDGS exports have exploded from 1 million tons in 2006 to more than 11 million tons in more than 45 countries in 2014. China received the bulk of DDGS exports, consisting of 38 percent of the export market, while Mexico (14 percent) was the second largest importer. Korea (6 percent), Vietnam (5 percent) and Japan (4 percent) round out the top five.
http://www.grains.org/buyingselling/ddgs
I wonder if the wholesaler advised them to have all shipments tested for sulfur content before using it.
Guess where most of the DDGS toxic beef produced in these 45 countries will end up.
Yep, you guessed it, right back in the US.

LCCattle":20wwe1hd said:
Here is another fact you need to consider.

Distiller's dried grains with solubles (DDGS) are the nutrient rich co-product of dry-milled ethanol production. Its utilization as a feed ingredient is well documented as both an energy and a protein supplement. 
Combined, U.S. ethanol plants possess the capacity to produce more than 14 billion gallons of ethanol and 39 million tons of DDGS.
The Council has been instrumental in educating the global market on the nutritional benefit of DDGS. DDGS exports have exploded from 1 million tons in 2006 to more than 11 million tons in more than 45 countries in 2014. China received the bulk of DDGS exports, consisting of 38 percent of the export market, while Mexico (14 percent) was the second largest importer. Korea (6 percent), Vietnam (5 percent) and Japan (4 percent) round out the top five.
http://www.grains.org/buyingselling/ddgs
I wonder if the wholesaler advised them to have all shipments tested for sulfur content before using it.
Guess where most of the DDGS toxic beef produced in these 45 countries will end up.
Yep, you guessed it, right back in the US.

LLC, there is not one word in that saying the beef is toxic or that the DDGS is a source of toxicity of any nature. You added that in your commentary. See underline.

LLC, you don't seem to appreciate the difference between data and commentary. That is alarming!

inyati13":1l0esjs9 said:
LCCattle":1l0esjs9 said:
Inyati,

CDC certainly may be a signatory to the MOU. They are not a regulatory agency so you are incorrect that the MOU would result in CDC regulations. The only regulations they have are enabling regulations which gives them their authority to function.
And you know that for fact, do ya?
Have you read the new rules and regulations to find out what new responsibilities and authority the CDC has under the new rules and regulation that the members of the MOU created.

LCCattle":3p6zna7t said:
inyati13":3p6zna7t said:
LCCattle":3p6zna7t said:
Inyati,

And you know that for fact, do ya?
Have you read the new rules and regulations to find out what new responsibilities and authority the CDC has under the new rules and regulation that the members of the MOU created.

I have not read the MOU. GET THIS IN YOUR HEAD. THE CDC IS NOT A REGULATORY AGENCY. THUS THEY DO NOT PROMULGATE REGULATIONS. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT REGULATIONS CANNOT BE PROMULGATED BY OTHER AGENCIES THAT GIVE THEM A ROLE OR FUNCTION. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

LLC,

CDC is under the Dept of Human Health and Public Services. CDC is a service Agency. They don't have an enforcement mission. I will take your word that they are a signatory to the MOU you mentioned but it would be a service function. The regulations will more likely be promulgated by the USDA and enforced by FSIS.

Try to follow this.
Fact:
DDGS is toxic.
DDGS is exported.
DDGS is fed to cattle out side the US.
The beef from those cattle are exported to the US
That exported beef from countries outside the US to the US is toxic

Now what part of that don't you understand?

LCCattle":3i8k0vxr said:
Try to follow this.
Fact:
DDGS is toxic.
DDGS is exported.

The whole toxic thing.
Please expound more on your hypothesis?

LCCattle":lgghm0hs said:
inyati13
I have not read the MOU.
Then maybe you should before you start stating facts about what the CDC can or can not do.

Unless there has been a revolutionary change in the last 5 years, CDC IS NOT A REGULATORY AGENCY. They are a service agency.

This is totally unimportant to me. For your own satisfaction, look it up. You are assuming that because they are a signatory that they will participate in the enforcement. They do not have inspectors. If you fly into Atlanta and go to their offices, you will see toxicologist, medical doctors, PhDs and professionals. Not inspectors.

As I said, they have a support role but the regulations will come out of the USDA. FSIS has inspectors.

sim.-ang.king":1xdz7k79 said:
LCCattle":1xdz7k79 said:
Try to follow this.
Fact:
DDGS is toxic.
DDGS is exported.

The whole toxic thing.
I'm not sure what else I can tell you that I haven't already said.
Do you have any specific questions?

The bottom line is, the USDA is in the process of putting animal feed at the same level as human foods under the same food rules and regulations. In other words, ethanol by -products will have to be produced the same as Jack Daniels whiskey if the by-product is going to be legally sold as feed stock..
You will know if they have done it right when the sulfur content is listed on the bag tag, under the analysis as are other minerals and trace minerals.

"Corn flour, wheat flour. The concept is the same. LC has provided a service by reporting on a recall of meat. Why the animosity?"

Do you understand the animosity now?

bball":34lrbcem said:
TexasBred":34lrbcem said:
bball":34lrbcem said:
CaO is necessary when feeding DDGs to balance the Ca to P ratio (since DDG has concentrated P levels) if not using CaO in ration, then you run the risk of pesky problems like urinary/renal calculi, increase risk for milk fever after calving, etc. Would like to see how this study attributes higher digestibility to CaO specifically. What's the science behind it?

It doesn't happen. Pelletizing may increas the rate of digestion since everything has a very small particle size but it doesn't nothing to increase digestion. And the risk of milk fever in beef cattle is very slim even when feeding DDG or CGF. Milk fever is actually caused by an overly high concentration of calcium in the blood prepartum, then the sudden release of all that calcium from the blood into milk production at the time of birth resulting in hypocalcaemia.

:tiphat: Thanks for an excellent explanation TB. Is that the only pathophysiology of milk fever? Hyper to hypo? O4 can a cow already be hypocalcemic, calve, let milk down and thereby have even lower calcium level (hypocalcemia)?.
No not really. She should draw the needed calcium from the bone rather than the elevated level in the blood.

cmay":2p30zuzn said:
"Corn flour, wheat flour. The concept is the same. LC has provided a service by reporting on a recall of meat. Why the animosity?"

Do you understand the animosity now?

I do indeed.

In the movie Big Country, When James McKay goes missing, Major Henry Terrill questions the Mexican wrangler Ramon why he let McKay go off on his own. Ramon says, well, he had a compass. Major Terrill replies, "Ramon, you're an idiot." :cowboy:

LCCattle":2z0d4rub said:
sim.-ang.king":2z0d4rub said:
LCCattle":2z0d4rub said:
Try to follow this.
Fact:
DDGS is toxic.
DDGS is exported.

The whole toxic thing.
I'm not sure what else I can tell you that I haven't already said.
Do you have any specific questions?

The bottom line is, the USDA is in the process of putting animal feed at the same level as human foods under the same food rules and regulations. In other words, ethanol by -products will have to be produced the same as Jack Daniels whiskey if the by-product is going to be legally sold as feed stock..
You will know if they have done it right when the sulfur content is listed on the bag tag, under the analysis as are other minerals and trace minerals.
Prove that DDGs is "toxic" to the sense that it should be used at all.
Please inform me on what % of sulfur is toxic to cattle, how much can be fed, and how it is passed through the body?
Please tell me how balanced rations don't already take sulfur into effect at feed yards?
Do you know the effects of low sulfur in the blood stream?
Why must animal feed be treated the same as human food, I don't plan on eating pig feed, but to each his own?
I would also like to know how sulfur makes meat toxic when it's fed at safe levels?
Also I would like to know where in the world your buying bagged DDGs?

One more thing, no News reports that vaguely describe something without the burden of truth.