Pearson chute reviews

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
We have an older chute like this and really like it. It will squeeze up anything from a small calf to a bull.. We want to get a new one to replace a old dangerous one. Looked at this today and noticed they put in a guard along the floor(you can see it sticking out the head gate) to keep cows from going down(i'm guessing thats what its for).. has anyone here used this chute with that guard or did it come out eventually? Looks like it would have to come out if you use it for calves...And once covered in, well, you know...I'm thinking that removing it and putting it back could be a chore...So, if anyone knows how good or bad this guard is i'd love to hear it..

I have one that is very easy to remove, one pin, on my Sioux Steel chute. Removed it before I ever used it and have never put it back in. I don't have problems with cows going down.

If you AI a lot of cows, especially if you synchronize and they make several trips through the chute in a couple of weeks, some can tend to get a little chute sour and try to go down on their knees. They're a lifesaver for AI'ing, 'cause you can't do much with one down on her knees. Palpating, too. Otherwise, you might not ever need it.

Thats kind of what we were thinking. Other than that i like some of the changes that have been made since the one we have was made. On a bunch of the calves i banded, i'd remove one panel only to have the calf move a bit and i'd have to take out another. They've made a couple panels that are wider. Opening one, makes room as if you removed 2.. I also like the lower panels that you remove to work on the udder area. The old one has heavy wooden planks that are hard to remove. The new one has metal with places to grab where you dont have to worry about your hand getting smashed.

We have a Person with the brisket bar. I have ran weaning age calves through with out a problem.

Latest posts