Pearl Millett hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Planted 35 acres of Pearl Millet on July 10. Put 50 lbs N on to give it kick. Finally mowed the first cutting 8/25, and got it baled 8/31. Had two days that were cloudy, and it got a very light shower on it one day. It was cut about a week later than I would have liked, but weather kept me from mowing. Anyhow, got 59 5 x 5.5 bales off the 35 acres, and hope to get another 40 in a few weeks. Getting that stuff to dry in September could be a challenge.

sounds like you need to cut it with a mow/co to crack the stems.wich will let it cure faster.or cut it when you know you can get it dry.

bigbull338":7c44hq0r said:
sounds like you need to cut it with a mow/co to crack the stems.wich will let it cure faster.or cut it when you know you can get it dry.

Cut it with a Case IH 8830 self propelled mower conditioner, 12' cut. When I cut on Monday, calling for highs in the upper 80's, with wind and zero chance of rain. Figured I'd be able to bale on Thursday (day 4), or Friday (day 5) at the latest. Well the rain tried to get there Wednesday and Thursday, and did get a light shower (less than a tenth) on it Thursday. Those two days were cloudy and really kept it from drying. Otherwise, I would have been right on track.

Isn't my first rodeo. ;-)

My pearl millet and cowpeas are still in the bag. Never got the rains to plant after I decided to try so no "cow candy" this year.

Cows like the millet hay it just doesn't store well outside but even when it breaks down outside they still seem to eat it well.

Latest posts