Peanut Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

CJohnson

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing peanut hay from FL. No test available. Anyone with experience feeding this? How much CP% would be typical? Supposed to be 4x5 and weigh 1000 lbs. Comments?

I bought some in the 2006 drought from NM. The books show peanut hay to have a lot of nutrition and I believe this did with all of the peanuts in it. The cows loved it and did well on it. I was surprised how much of the weight in each bale was dirt from the harvesting though. You will also draw coons and squirrels from everywhere. I had to just tarp mine in the hay trap as I didn't have barn room for the square bales and the critters really wasted a lot of it digging out the peanuts.

Peanut hay is good feed but like Baydog says its pretty gritty. We joke that two hundred pounds of a bale is sand. If its baled the day after picking it will be a nice color otherwise it will be dark to black. Cows love it. It won't last as long as grass hay since its so course and will let water in the bale easy. Its more of a byproduct here so its cheap. About $15/roll picked up in the field and sometimes its given away just to get it out of the field. It won't last long in a hay ring either. Its also fantastic stuff to run through a mixer grinder.

Peanut hay is all we feed to our's over the winter the cows love it. Like he said only problem with it is the dirt. We keep ours under a shelter and if we dont feed it it will hold up untill the next year. Hope this helps